Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #1

Share |

How can I save the back porch?

Hello,

We will try to remodel and save an old abandoned house and hopefully get rid of our mortgage so that we can save enough to buy a modular house within the next 8-10 years. Anyway, the house we want to save is decent in the inside. Some drywall work, baseboard installation, bathroom tiling, rewiring. On the outside, however, it needs a little more work than on the inside. The biggest concern of mine is the backporch. As you guys can see on the picture, the backporch as added to the house later on. However, all they did was run 2 2x6s as joists and sit the edge of the porch on the concrete block. The 3rd 2x6 sitting on the blocks lost balance so it's now sitting on the block as "/", instead of "I". (I hope it was a good description.) How can I save this back porch? Should i jack it up and put new columns? I thought I could jack it up a little then run a 6x6 column the same was as that 3rd 2x6 is running right now. At least it wouldn't look like "/" over time, but then again how do I secure the 6x6 on the blocks? Would it start sliding outwards over time as well?
Attached Thumbnails
How can I save the back porch?-p8120294.jpg  
Attached Images

Korkmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #2

How can I save the back porch?

You'll need to add supports and replace the framing members resting on the concrete block.
The 2x6 joists are spanning too great a distance. And the wood on the blocks are rotted.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote