Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2010, 12:55 PM   #1

Share |

How can I install this vanity without removing the top?

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum, so I apologize if this has been covered or if I'm posting in the wrong forum. I did try a search to see if my question had been answered, but I didn't see anything that really applied.

I am replacing a pedestal sink in my half bathroom with this vanity.

As you can see, the vanity already has the granite counter glued on. From what I've read/seen online, installing vanities is usually done with the counter off first. Then you place the vanity and screw it to the wall (studs) via the nailboard up at the top right underneath the counter top. After it's secured, you glue the counter top to the vanity and you're done.

What I was wondering was if it would be possible to secure the vanity to the wall (with glue or nails) by using this backboard instead:

The backboard is relatively flimsy (not like incredibly flimsy, but it flexes a bit). Should I bite the bullet, remove the top, install the vanity, and then reglue the top, or is there a shortcut? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Haleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:56 PM   #2

I should add that the reason I can't use the nailboard with the counter top already glued on is because the sink is blocking any drill access. I wouldn't be able to get any powertools up in that area.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
STAFF

Are you sure the top is glued on, and not blocks glued and screwed? If the top is glued, can you get the top off without messing the unit or top up?

It would really be to your benefit if the top was off. It would make it much easier to install the unit and installing the fixtures and drain piping will be much much easier.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiju1943 View Post
Are you sure the top is glued on, and not blocks glued and screwed? If the top is glued, can you get the top off without messing the unit or top up?

It would really be to your benefit if the top was off. It would make it much easier to install the unit and installing the fixtures and drain piping will be much much easier.
Hey jiju, it's definitely glued on. I can see a silicon bead around the top and can't detect anywhere where it would be attached via screws. I think I'm gonna try to take it off. I should be able to cut through the silicone with a utility knife and pry it off, right? Anything I need to be cautious about?
Old 09-21-2010, 03:29 PM   #5

I would not try to remove the top for fear of chippin it. You could enlarge the access cut out to fit plumbing. Then I would use a 1 x 4 across your studs from the inside as high up as space will allow. You could also add one to the bottom for extra stability
antlerdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:33 PM   #6
STAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlerdancer View Post
I would not try to remove the top for fear of chippin it. You could enlarge the access cut out to fit plumbing. Then I would use a 1 x 4 across your studs from the inside as high up as space will allow. You could also add one to the bottom for extra stability
I second this, this man is thinking!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:07 PM   #7
King Construction Inc.

absolutly agreed w/ attaching your own nailer, people pay top dollar for cheaply made imported cabinets that you still have to beef up and spend more $ on. but anyways, all you have to to is rip a 1 1/2" x 3/4" nailer the longest width that your cabinet will allow you to fit in through the front and note it only has to be 21" to cover 2 studs (unless your studs are 2' on center not typical) . from the back install your anchoring rail with 1/2-3/4" screws from the back and make sure you anchor it to where you can hit your studs. if your real picky you may want to stain the board to match the finish but you will probably never see it, unless you install one at the bottom too, but not toatally necessecary to install 2 unless you can only hit one stud with your cabinet width
nking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:27 AM   #8

while your at it wouldnt it help to add a dab of silicon to each leg. ?
oldrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrivers View Post
while your at it wouldnt it help to add a dab of silicon to each leg. ?

Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:53 AM   #10

You can also install that vanity using French cleats. Here’s the link: http://www.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=French+cleats&rlz=1W1ADRA_en&um=1&i e=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=efuZTKnGFYKKlweRpP1r&sa=X&oi=imag e_result_group&ct=title&resnum=6&ved=0CDoQsAQwBQ
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:04 AM   #11
the Musigician

Can't you just drill the holes in the back and then screw it to the wall from inside? If not, (for whatever reason,) I'd take a steak knife and 'saw' the top off carefully then re-glue when done.

Beautiful vanity btw, MUCH nicer than any pedestals I've ever seen.

DM
Old 09-24-2010, 11:30 PM   #12

Or can't you just glue the whole thing to the wall, after you install the piping?
MagicalHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haleon View Post
I should add that the reason I can't use the nailboard with the counter top already glued on is because the sink is blocking any drill access. I wouldn't be able to get any powertools up in that area.

Why don't you put a nail strip along the bottom of the vanity. As long as you hit a stud you should be OK.
adave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haleon View Post
You can still use the nailing board. The attachment would be through toggle bolts on either side of the sink. There's enough room to use a drill or a screwdriver.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote