Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2007, 09:39 AM   #1

Share |
Question

How can I evaluate the load bearring wall?

I have pretty much same issue as the Timber.
I am opening a wall between kitchen and living room to make a walk through, want to put a arch in the opening.
After removing the cabinets and cut the sheetrock, I am looking at the studs and there 3 which are together and when I am looking up at the top I see it is supporting, looks like a load bearring beam. What are my option to resolve this issue and how can I. I have taken pictures would like to share with someone with the experiance personal.

Kayotehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:28 AM   #2
ICF Construction

You will need some form of header; to carry the load from the beam thru the new header to the new jack studs; then transfer that load to the bearing point down below. Quick answer is to have an engineer review it.

Do you have the plans from when the house was built? This would be a good indication of where all the bearing points and point loads can be found...provided it was built per plan. are you dealing with a main floor over basement or a slab on grade?

Old 12-06-2007, 11:36 AM   #3
Woodworker and Contractor

Before you make the header what is the load being transfered to, are you on a slab or basement. You need to make sure the load is still supported below the first floor too. Also need to figure out how much the beam is holding to size the header if you can move the load outward fron the point where the 3 jack are now. Is that understandable?
Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:08 PM   #4
Mod / ArchiBuilder

I would call a structural engineer for the job, or just a contractor you can trust.

Messing with load bearing walls can be real tricky for a diyer and you want to be 100% sure what you are doing is safe. Not just for you working, but for people who will be in your house after you have completed the project.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote