How Can This Big House Be So Small (Floorplans) - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

How can this big house be so small (Floorplans)

We have had our house for a year plus one day, and in general we love the house.

There is however some fairly big shortcomings of the design and practical use of the house and it's rooms. Here is my current floorplan.

So what are the shortcomings I have seen?

1. Symmetrical to a fault. The pure symmetry of the house reduces some of the layout potential. But at the same time the symmetry is a big draw of the house.

2. Bathrooms. The house has two baths, which in this area it's a premium since many places have one to one-and-a-half. However the baths are very small, lack wall outlets (there is a single outlet on a lamp fixture), and lacks a wall switch. They also lack any storage. To complicate matters there is no bath on the ground floor. There seems to be enough room where the two closets are between the kitchen and study, but then I would sacrifice the built-in bookshelf in the study (or make it much smaller).

3. Closet space. Beds #3 and #4 have generous closets while the Master Bed and the flanking bed have quite small closets.

4. Doors. Oh I have doors! It's nice because it allows for cross ventilation from any angle, but the door placement adds some difficulty in general room layouts.

5. Windows. A couple small problems with the windows, one of them being they are very tall so putting anything in front of them typically obstructs the window. This isn't as noticeable on the ground floor with 8' 6" ceiling, but the second floor has only 8' ceilings.

6. The bonus room. There is a bonus room that could be leveraged as a master suite, but I am quite weary of the ramifications of trying to do up space in the attic as living quarters.

So all this has me thinking of a couple options, one that a bump out might have to be in order. This would be in the rear, and would nearly match the dimensions of the rear deck (which at this point is not really usable as a deck).

Bump-out Floorplan Concept

The thing is my wife is really not liking the concept. The combination of the window placement with the 8' ceilings upstairs really reduces a lot of layouts on the 2nd floor. The bump out just solves a lot (at a premium).

One other option I was considering, but not sure how I feel about it, is to change up the attic to a full master suite. This allows for the symmetry to continue on the other levels while adding practicality. I am unsure what the total weight load I can bear on the top floor. The floor is finished in rough oak flooring and hard to tell the direction of my support load is.

It incorporates a lot of changes that I want. It does make the two original MBs on the 2nd floor a bit on the smallish size (about same size as the two original small BRs). I also make a hallway and put in an additional window (where it looks like a window was previously) to add some light.

Master Suite Floorplan (updated link)

Also here is an obligatory photo repository of the house.

Advertisement

Last edited by LTParis; 04-08-2013 at 12:01 PM.
LTParis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,552

What is your location? Your bathroom electrical is not code in Canada or USA.

Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #3

US. Actually it did pass inspection since the electrical is grandfathered in (pre-1930/1940). Any changes would force it to bring it to code.

Real old school. A pair of pull-cord lamps, one of which has an outlet. I can't wait to get the old bathrooms changed up, but the question is to which floorplan.

Last edited by LTParis; 04-08-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,002

Lt,
you sure that wasn't a duplex in its prior life? Sure would make a good one.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
TarheelTerp (04-08-2013)
Old 04-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #5

Pseudo-duplex. A pair of brothers circa 1920-1930, built the place. Looks like they took a duplex design and merged it ever so slightly to have a common staircase.

The study, for instance, was a kitchen.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,552

OK onthe electrical. You said a year and a day and thought you had a new house.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
OK onthe electrical. You said a year and a day and thought you had a new house.
Ah. No, this is a old house, circa 1931 when they broke ground on it. Great bones, but damn if it does not have it's quirks. lol
Old 04-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 626

It is the lay out of how you have things looks at the oven next to the cabinets and drawers not going to work that way.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #9

Ok, why not? I have seen double ovens mounted by kitchen cabinets before.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #10
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,020

Congratulations! Did you just win the lottery?

Kitchens are the single most expensive room in the house to renovate. Bathrooms are a close second. You plan on messing with the kitchen and three bathrooms?!?

Have you sat down and taken a realistic look at your costs, budget etc.?

I'm guessing the bump out plan will be very expensive for the sq footage you will gain. If you are going to go with the expense of the bump out plan, I'd go bigger. I'd make it at least big enough for a nice little mud room.

And if the plan includes getting the washer and dryer out of the kitchen and in there rather than the basement, you just might get her approval.

Where are you? It can make a difference. Especially if you're considering plumbing on an exterior wall.
How-To Add or Edit Your Location

Last edited by Blondesense; 04-08-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #11

Oh I wish I won the lottery. This is a multi-year plan, and one of the first things I am doing is electrical which means I am trying to plan out outlets, which means I am trying to rough out where new outlets will need to be. Luckily for me my Father-In-Law is an electrician and is going to be doing that project.

Other projects for the year is relocating the W/D which should be generally easy. Then Central A/C, and given how the house is designed it will have to be a split level A/C, which means I also need to make sure I accommodate the proper space in the attic (noise levels, heat dissipation, etc) given that we may elect for the Master Suite design. Last up for this year is to change our oil fired water and heat to gas.

For the bump-out, if we go larger it would make the house look very odd and unequal. If one thing my wife and I agree on is to try to retain most of the symmetry of the house. The small bump out was supposed to do that, but it might just be too cost prohibitive. Which my wife is leaning towards the Master Suite plan.

So if the W/D, electrical and A/C, and gas change goes as plan, there is a good chance to do the kitchen for next year. Our current kitchen is generally useless right now, and represents a very large change to the house. But I want to get things in place, planned, trying not have to redo things in the future where possible.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTParis View Post
Ok, why not? I have seen double ovens mounted by kitchen cabinets before.
that is not a double wall oven! that is a range your lay out is wrong you need to remodel and make thing fit right your kitchen needs to be put in a triangle not frame it in like that have your sink at one point your cooking area and your fridge form a imagairy triangle and free up floor and counter top space.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbags View Post
that is not a double wall oven! that is a range your lay out is wrong you need to remodel and make thing fit right your kitchen needs to be put in a triangle not frame it in like that have your sink at one point your cooking area and your fridge form a imagairy triangle and free up floor and counter top space.
OK I am a little confused.

In my bump out floor plan I have created a triangle (http://ltparis.com/images/colonial/f...out_Page_1.png). the Double Wall Oven is near the range/stove.

In my master suite plan I have created a little but of a rectangle. (http://ltparis.com/images/colonial/f...1-1stfloor.png) The Double Wall Oven is in the bottom quadrant.

I am up for better suggestions. The future sink is in it's it's current location. The stove the same since I could take advantage of a current exhaust port, and both have windows for nice visibility out.

Last edited by LTParis; 04-08-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #14

This is just my opinion take it with a huge grain of salt. If it were me I would move the dish washer to the left of the sink and move the fridge to the right of the stove/cook top. but that is just me.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #15

Confused again. Of course the limited Visio icons don't help much.

The dishwasher is already to the left of the sink.

I can't move the fridge to the right of the stove without partially blocking a window.

Advertisement