How To Build A Sand Blast Room? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
ETCHED

Rewards Points: 10
Smile

How to build a Sand Blast Room?

I am a 2 year vertern to sandblasting and beginning to get request for larger items such as shower doors, large coffee tables, etc. I have a pass through machine, however, it is so much easier to use a blasting room. My huz will build it, but I have to have specifics for him. I need recomendations for best size, what I should think about and where to place things. I have a space about 15 x 8 to work with. It has a window and a florescent light...(in a garage) in the area I want it.

Also would like to know if anyone has recomendations on the air supply machine.
Thanks

Advertisement

etchedimpressio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:31 PM   #2

Since you obviously know more about sandblasting than any of us you need to let us know what kinds of problems you want to address. Giving you the instructions on how to build walls is easy but I suspect that there are problems unique to sandblasting that we just don't understand.

As far as an air supply machine is concerned that sounds like a compressor to me. How much air do you need? Specifically, how many CFM (cubic feet per miniute) at what PSI (pounds per square inch) does your equipment require?

Advertisement

Last edited by Timberwright; 01-25-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Timberwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:13 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,286

Ayuh,...

The simplest blast room would be draping Plastic in whatever size/ shape you'd like....

I assume you need this "Room" to control the Dust,+ for sand recovery,..??...

Air Compressors come in All sizes, at all price levels...
You need to size it to the requirements of the equipment used,..
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 268

The main issues are ventilation so you can see, (because sandblasting creates some serious dust), and a supplied air system for the operator. The latter should be the easy part as these are available through autobody paint/material suppliers. The ventilation system is a design/build component that you'd have to seek professional advice about. You'll also need a beefy compressor that can keep up with the demand and a water/dryer seperator to go with it. The easy part is the room itself, that can just be drywall with the light fixtures placed vertically between the stud bays and covered with saftey glass.
rustyjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
ETCHED

Wink

I think rustyjames has the idea of what I am looking for. I have all the blasting equipment. But I suppose what I need to understand is the best way to set up the ventaltion aspcet based on a design for a 15 x 8 room.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:09 PM   #6
ETCHED

Smile

I have a rather large air compressor for my blasting, but it is the ventilation aspset of the room that is important. Appreciate your help. If you know anyone in the sandblast bus. maybe you can forward me to them.
Thanks again
Old 01-25-2009, 07:31 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 268

I would try mounting a large capacity exhaust fan (because they can be bought relatively cheap) high on an exterior wall to evacuate the dust. Then I would use something like this kind of setup for suppling fresh air and head/eye protection:
http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...espirator.html

Just make sure the supplied air compressor isn't in the blasting zone.
rustyjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:27 PM   #8
ETCHED

Thumbs up

RustyJames,

Thanks for the info. I briefly looked at the links, I think that will help. I had looked at Breco once before but they deal with real heavy duty blasting. Will look at the links more indepth.
Will let you all know how this turns out.
Any more advice? send it on!
Thanks
Old 09-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #9

Just a thought, you might want to build a small vented room for your mechanicals (compressors ) you don't want them loading up on media.
D'Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:44 AM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Just so we all understand, in reading between the lines of your post you are not sandblasting paint off parts and things, you are using very fine grit abrasives to etch glass right?

I took a few courses from my then local art glass supplier in etching a few years back. They adored me because I became proficient at eating through very expensive pieces of glass! In any event, you must have taken similar courses? Have you asked where you took them for recommendations on how to build what you need and can fit?

In addition to picking an air supply make sure you focus on the air and water filtration you will need for your type of abrasives.

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 09-23-2012 at 07:51 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sandblast