How Big To Make Plastic Shed Foundation? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By jlhaslip
  • 2 Post By dd57chevy
  • 1 Post By Bondo
  • 1 Post By KPDMinc

Old 03-17-2017, 08:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 32

How big to make plastic shed foundation?

I'm buying a plastic shed soon (link below), which is 84x86 (It Will allow me to make room in the garage, storing lawn equipment in there). I'm having some concrete work, including replacing a patio, so it will make sense to have a pad poured for this at the same time (Not much additional cost). With the shed being 84x86, how much bigger should I have him pour the pad/floor?. I was thinking 4 inches, possibly 88x90", but I'm unsure. I will likely be anchoring the shed down, and the anchors are kind of close to the edge; I would assume drilling an anchor too close to the edge of a slab would crack it. Any Advice is appreciated.

Are there any general building codes for sheds? I've heard 3 feet from a property line, but I forget if that was a local or national code. I will do some calling monday, if I can't find an answer, but I've been told anything less than 10x10 doesn't matter (The guy that told me this moved from another state, so he's unsure about ohio).

Thanks!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rubbermaid-...-Shed/50125589

Advertisement

Last edited by Erikz; 03-17-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Erikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,186

Re: How big to make plastic shed foundation?

Local codes usually apply and vary quite a bit.

Some jurisdictions allow sheds anywhere of any size as long as they are not "permanent", some require permits for anything over a certain size, some do not, some locales require side yard access, some restrict placement near a property line.

In general, the best source of information is your local Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) which is typically a Building Inspector or the Planning folks at your city/town/county.

Advertisement

Old 03-18-2017, 06:15 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 728

If your slab is bigger than the shed, water may collect and drain inside. You can flash the perimeter with z flashing, tape the corners.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2017, 10:38 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 844

If you are determined to set this shed on a concrete pad you'll [I]definitely want to check with your local Building Dept ! In my area , it is 3' from the lot line & they get fiesty if you set a permanant building contrary to codes . And , is really , really difficult to move a concrete slab once it is poured !

Don't take this a sarcasm , but , IMO , a concrete base might not be an optimal feature for this shed :

1. This IS a plastic shed....... not really an heirloom or permant structure .

2 . A concrete base is (for lack of a better word) permanent . If , in 3-4 years , you decide you want a bigger shed (maybe in a different location) , the slab could be a problem .

3. I have a shed in my back yard (on a plywood , pallet type base) that is backed-up to 1-2 inches from my neighbors fence . It is like a sort of privacy screen (he doesn't care) & it maximizes my small back yard . I wouldn't have put it there with a concrete slab .
Bondo and MTN REMODEL LLC like this.
dd57chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:37 PM   #5

I'm actually considering going with a 10x12 metal shed instead (I'm sure I could use the room). If I have the concrete pad poured, is there much of an advantage to having the pad level with the ground, as opposed to having it 4 inches above the ground? (I can save about 200 if they don't have to dig down).

- I found out, it is 3 feet from property line and.. as long as it's smaller than 200 sq ft, no permit is needed (directly from their online website)

Shed I'm considering
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Arrow-Galva...-71-ft/3125501

Last edited by Erikz; 03-18-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:32 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikz View Post
If I have the concrete pad poured, is there much of an advantage to having the pad level with the ground, as opposed to having it 4 inches above the ground?
The raised slab seems better . That way the shed would be above grade (no water infiltration issues).

How do you plan to fasten the shed to the slab ?
dd57chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd57chevy View Post
The raised slab seems better . That way the shed would be above grade (no water infiltration issues).

How do you plan to fasten the shed to the slab ?
The manufacture sells an anchor kit for concrete - link below
https://www.amazon.com/Arrow-Shed-AK...ow+shed+anchor
Old 03-19-2017, 05:01 PM   #8
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikz View Post
I'm actually considering going with a 10x12 metal shed instead (I'm sure I could use the room). If I have the concrete pad poured, is there much of an advantage to having the pad level with the ground, as opposed to having it 4 inches above the ground? (I can save about 200 if they don't have to dig down).

- I found out, it is 3 feet from property line and.. as long as it's smaller than 200 sq ft, no permit is needed (directly from their online website)

Shed I'm considering
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Arrow-Galva...-71-ft/3125501
Ayuh,... I'm with dd, in my town, when ya pour concrete it's permanent,...
In my town, a temporary structure can back right up to the line, no set-back,...

With either shed, build a P/T 2x lumber platform, level the dirt where ya want it, put the platform down, 'n bolt the shed to it,...
It's Temporary,...
Want it somewhere else, Drag it over to another leveled area, 'n reseed the spot ya pulled it from,...
gma2rjc likes this.
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:02 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,367

If you put it right on the ground, you can drive a lawnmower right in. Otherwise you have a step or ramp.
mathmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:23 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,158

to answer your original question, maybe make the pad a couple inches wider on the sides and back. You may benefit from a 4 to 5 foot over-pour on the front for misc things, like filling the gas on your mower, setting things down on a solid surface while opening the door, working space, etc...
mathmonger likes this.

Advertisement

KPDMinc is offline   Reply With Quote