Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2011, 04:53 PM   #1

Share |

how to attach insulation to particle board

I have a modular home built about 17 years ago. My son would always complain his room was cold. He came back from college and his room is still cold. (amazing how that didn't change ) I suddenly realized that I had taken the master bedroom section off the house and the modular company probably didn't insulate that wall. There is attic storage there instead. Felt the wall and it is colder then the other three.

I picked up fiberglass batting but when I got the access opened, I realize there were no studs, just flush particle board. What is the best way to attach the batting to the particle wood wall?
I was thinking of stapling and store suggested putting plastic over that... like carpenter painting or landscaping plastic but not sure how I would attach that since there are no studs.
Just to double check too, I was told to put the paper side to heat source, meaning toward my son's room.

I'm thinking that even if it is not as efficient, the insulated board may work better but might not be a easy to work with and fit thru access hole.
Any suggestions would be appreciated
Thank you
deetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #2

The space may be limited for fiberglass, but if you want to put foamboard, you need to put a sheetrock layer on top to keep it from being exposed to flame.
Ron

Last edited by Ron6519; 02-15-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:05 AM   #3

exposed to flame in the attic?
sorry, don't understand that part
Old 02-16-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
I picked up fiberglass batting but when I got the access opened, I realize there were no studs, just flush particle board. What is the best way to attach the batting to the particle wood wall?
Ayuh,... Are you saying that an outside wall of your house is Nothing but a sheet of Osb,..??
No studding,..??
No framing,..??
Quote:
exposed to flame in the attic?
In case of a house fire, 5/8ths" rock is a fire break...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:56 AM   #5

I think something is lost in translation.

Are you insulating a wall or a ceiling?

How large is the area you are applying the insulation to?

What is the particle board attached to?

Any way to post a photo?
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,... Are you saying that an outside wall of your house is Nothing but a sheet of Osb,..??
No studding,..??
No framing,..??
It is a 2 story Colonial that looks like a one floor addition had been added on one side.

So the roof of that "addition" connects to the second floor of the "main" house. There is access to the attic of the "addition" thru the 2nd floor.
There is no insulation between the wall of the main house and the attic wall of the addition because originally, there was to be another bedroom on the other side of the wall. That wall is of course studded. One side has wall board, the other side has OSB, part of which is in attic, part of which is outside covered with foamboard, then siding.

Again, this is a modular. The bedroom that was removed from the orginal plan would have been two more pieces of modular so the OSB got slapped on the whole side of the house without anyone remembering that it would now be an outside wall. The roof being pulled up after the house was set.

Make more sense?

So I want to insulate the wall inside the attic that backs to a bedroom.
Space = at highest point is 5 feet going down roof line to point <12 feet.
OSB is attached to framing of house.

Last edited by deetu; 02-16-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetu View Post

Make more sense?

So I want to insulate the wall inside the attic that backs to a bedroom.
Space = at highest point is 5 feet going down roof line to point <12 feet.
OSB is attached to framing of house.
So is there insulation in the wall that's above the roof? Make a small hole and look. If there's not, then insulating the bottom on the outside of the sheathing won't help any.

My initial thought was to just pull off the OSB, but then I figured it might be necessary for lateral strength.

If you're certain there is insulation in the top of the wall then you could staple the paper backing to the OSB. You'll need to get each piece tight to the next so cold air doesn't go between them. I'd like a pneumatic stapler for this job if you have access to a compressor.

If there's no insulation in the top of the wall, then cold air will be behind the insulation and it won't do much, if any, good. In that case you probably need to have someone blow insulation into the cavities.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #8

ahhh, I understand. The pink foam board is what we used as additional insulation under the siding. Would that be enough for the upper wall or should, like you said, have insulation blown in. Thought of that too

My husband also said that when he put an outlet in that wall, he had to cut thru a barrier panel that was covered in metalic that he thought was insulation too. It was located right behind the wall board, before the studding.

thank you pyper...this is really helping
Old 02-17-2011, 10:55 AM   #9

update...
I touched the wall that leads to outside... there is a window in most of that area... and it was cold, but so was the other outside wall. When I touched the area that attaches to the attic, it was colder. I think that putting in the batting will help some in this case.

Thank you so much for your help pyper. It is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #10

I recently insulated a concrete wall in my daughters house.
The wall had no studs!

There are insulation attachnent pins available to mount the insulation.
These pins are about 4" long and are attached to a baseplate that has multiple perforations.
A dab of construction adhesive is placed on the wall and base of the pin is pressed into it.
After the adhesive is set (over-night) the insulation is pressed over the pins and a keeper is then pressed onto the pin to hold the insulation in place.
Don't forget that a vapor barrier is necessary on the warm side of the insulation. So if you use the pin method, the insulation would be pressed onto the pins before the insulation. And of course a dab of caulking is used to seal the v/b where the pins has penetrated the plastic.

Last edited by Wildie; 02-17-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote