How To Apply Caulk To Seal Water Pipe Through Basement Wall - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

How to apply caulk to seal water pipe through basement wall

My 1 inch plastic water pipe from the utility comes through the basement wall inside a 10 foot long plastic sleeve which runs underneath the front porch. The sleeve runs downhill from the front of the porch to where it enters the basement wall. In the basement, the installers caulked the space between the inside of the sleeve and the outside of the plastic water pipe to prevent any water in the plastic sleeve from leaking into the basement. I do not know what type of caulk was used. The caulk seal lasted for 10 years without any problem.

Recently I had plumbing work done in the basement and I had to re-caulk the space between sleeve and plastic water pipe. Apparently my caulking job was not good enough because after 6 weeks, the seal started to leak - water in the sleeve was dripping into the basement. I used GE Silicone II 100% silicone caulk that I put on in thin layers. See the attached photo.

Questions:
(1) Is GE Silicone II 100% silicone caulk the proper material to seal between the sleeve and plastic water pipe?
(2) Is there some technique I should use when applying the caulk to ensure that the caulk adheres to the plastic water pipe so that the seal does not break over time?

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
How to apply caulk to seal water pipe through basement wall-capture.jpg  

Advertisement

goshenplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 788

I would first rule out that the compression fitting is not leaking.

Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat View Post
I would first rule out that the compression fitting is not leaking.
Thank you for responding!

I am positive that the fitting is not leaking. I scraped away the silicone caulk on the plastic pipe and watched as water very slowly seeped out of the PVC sleeve.
goshenplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,690

Remove the caulk. Let the water run out. Dry both pipes real good(silicone doesn't seal right if it gets wet before its cured). Re caulk it. Don't do it in thin layers. put it in heavily.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,704

i would seal it from the outside.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote