Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2009, 08:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Horizontal roller windows a security risk ? Should I get single hung instead ?

Getting IMPACT windows ( i live in south florida) Neighbor of mine that got single hung verion told me she didn't go for the horizontal roller windows because they can be pried open from the track similar to how a sliding glass patio door can be pried off it's track. Is there truth to this and which one would you go with if you had the option ??

heydade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:47 AM   #2

Slider type windows are nothing more than a double hung turned on its side, and just as hard/easy to break into. The most secure type window is a casement style, but you can't keep out a determined burglar. The only hope is to make it difficult enough to make him want to go elsewhere.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
contractor

most break-ins happen at the doors, less noise and less chance of getting injured. But you can't keep out a determined thief, they will find a way if they want to.
Meetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #4
Shriba

Single hung windows can't be easily taken off their track like a slider. Plus, I'm thinking that it's easier to break into a sliding window when it was partially open (no one uses a/c all the time). All you'd have to do was rip the screen, and you'd have your whole arm to pick any 'lock' on the track. With a single hung, you could also rip the screen & reach in, but you'd only have your forearm to work with, which wouldn't get anyone very far without breaking the window and making a lot of noise. Am I missing something?
shriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:00 AM   #5
Man of many hats

An open, unlocked window is an open. unlocked window, whether it is a slider or single hung. Lving in South Florida, I doubt the windows are left open much except maybe for the three days of fall we get each year. If the slider is installed properly, stops are srewed into the top track to prevent them from being lifted out. One advantage to a slider is that they are easier to open in an over-the-sink location. In openings that are wider than they are tall, a slider will provide a less obstructed view than two single hungs mulled side by side. Some sliders will not meet wind load ratings after a certain size and this may be a consideration as well, especially in S Fla.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
Shriba

I feel like I'm missing something here. I live in San Diego, and we don't have a/c, so the windows are open all spring, summer & fall. Even if we did have a/c, the air is so fresh here, with little humidity that I'd prefer to breathe the fresh air. We'd only need a/c a few weeks out of the year. If a slider is open, can't someone just reach their entire arm in and unscrew, or pick a lock of any stop that's been installed? My thinking is that just being able to get a forearm under a single hung that's opened 6 or 7" would pretty much eliminate the possibility of taking out any installed stops. I'm installing new windows, and have been wrestling with getting higher priced, and in my mind, more secure single or double hungs, rather than saving a lot of money on sliders. Can you take a single hung window off it's track? Thank you for your response - much appreciated to have any info I can. The more cons to my theory will save me money! I just want to feel secure with open windows when we're sleeping!
shriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:15 PM   #7

Find a local window supplier that carries a tilt and slide slider window. It different then normal sliders becasue the sashes ride on tracks. The windows cannot be lifted out. The windows also tilt in for easy cleaning or just for a large opening if you have a full screen. here is a link to one of those style. It is about halfway down the page. http://www.bfrich.com/cabernet.html

paul100 is offline   Reply With Quote