Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2010, 07:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Honda f220 tiller clutch problems.

I don't know where to look for help. I just bought this used Honda f220 on an ebay auction. It starts and runs great but the tines always turn. From all I read, the clutch is supposed to be a deadman type lever on the left handlebar and the transmission only engages when the lever is held.

It's an ex rental machine that shows less wear than expected and I've got a little over $200 in it. It was sold as being in good operating condition and my gut says seller is honest. I'd prefer to keep the tiller but if the fix is going to be expensive I'd ask seller to fix or refund and I'd probably get my money back. Again, I'd prefer the tiller and would put $30-40 into repairs if it is a fairly simple fix.

My tines turn regardless of whether the clutch lever is held or not. The engine starts so easily that I could use it like this but it would be dangerous. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Last edited by doublesharp; 09-06-2010 at 07:26 PM. Reason: to clarify
doublesharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
No Hacks Allowed!

Rewards Points: 25

Here are two links for both the owner's manual and the shop manual.

The owner's manual is a FREE PDF download.
The shop manual can be ordered for $34.95 plus shipping.

Your problem could be as simple as a binding clutch-link mechanism, a broken clutch cable, or the clutch cable may need an adjustment.

Does the handlebar clutch lever have any friction or spring resistance? I'm just looking for a simple obvious fix.

As shown in the owner's manual on page 37, there is a large spring (clutch spring end) on the clutch cable where the cable attaches to the transmission clutch lever.
  • Is this spring in place?
  • Can you move the transmission clutch lever by hand?

Honda F220 Tiller Owner's Manual PDF

Honda F220 Tiller Shop Manual

Good Luck!

Last edited by NoHax; 09-07-2010 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Add bullets
NoHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:02 PM   #3

Thank you very much, NoHax. I got lucky. The seller is local and he has 2 of these tillers. He sold one and kept one for himself. The one he kept worked perfect so he swapped with me. I've already made the switch. I had a hunch he was a stand up guy and hopefully it will be an easy fix for him. Thanks for the owners manual link. Dave
doublesharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:59 PM   #4

Great manual this should help my car bugs problem too, love to fix my car by myself coz dealership charges a lot.