Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 62
Share |

Home shows and current trend this past year.

Decided that I would check out the home show that is going on in our town this weekend, and thought that maybe I could talk to some vendors that do Kitchens and flooring. The following is my story of how sad this particular show has gotten.

Past couple of years, one of the two shows has gone from being downtown at the convention center, to moving out to the fairgrounds. Used to be that they would swap locations every other year. Last year, noticed that not too many vendors were there, maybe twenty-five tops.

This year driving out there, thought at first I got to the wrong building, due to no cars like there has been in one of the parking lots. Drove further, and saw maybe ten cars. Had to check my calendar, due to thought that I got the wrong date, but yep this weekend is the correct weekend.

Looked at the door and saw the sign that stated "Free", so I thought "Hey, I am going to save five bucks." Walked in, pretty much a ghost town. They had three rows, one vendor was talking to someone, looked like their booth was thrown together with scraps from the local habitat store. Next ones I saw were not even worth it. Spent a total of two minutes, which involved parking the car, walking up to go take a peek, standing their in awe of wondering if they were shutting down for the day, then walking out to the car to leave.

All I can say, is that the next one in February better be worth it, since I still need to check out some flooring and stuff before I get kicking into gear on finishing the Kitchen this year.

So, the moral of the story is, home shows are appearing at least in my area, to be a dieing breed like the DoDo bird.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 34

Not sure how those shows work in your area but some of the shows I used to have to go set up for companys I work for cost a fortune to be a vendor there.
Charge for the space, in the citys they wanted you to hire a union electricion even if you did all the set up, carpet rental, back drop fees, rooms for the reps, gas or plane fares ect. ect. It would end up costing us thousands just for a 2 day show. Slow sales no show.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

It is about the same here, but from what I have seen between the two different shows, is this one has become noticeable in how much of a bust it has become. Talking to some vendors last year, they stated the same that you are joe.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 01-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 38

I think you can chalk a lot of it up to the internet....and people not having money to remodels.....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

No, this is just what we are seeing right now in this market, and this particular home show. I was just not expecting it to be such a sad state of affairs so soon for this show. I am just hoping that the next show in February is not a bust, since it always seems to be the better of the two.