DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Home Security Systems?

4K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Security101 
#1 ·
Wasn't sure which forum this belonged in, but figured there would be some folks with some experience in this avenue.

So we're gonna get a security system. Only problem is that I have yet to find a site where I can review providers. There are the obvious ADTs and Brinks, but who's to say they're the best? Some of the smaller companies seem to have good BBB reputations and their installs are HUNDREDS less than the big names. The install I want from ADT is over $800 with all the things I want. I just found a joint in TX that'll do the same install for $99. Of course, I'm in NH. What do I do? Any northeast mofos want to weigh in?

Also, I've been told to go wireless. True/false?

(And lest you scold me, I'm not averse to spending money on my family's safety, I just want to make sure I'm not getting raped here)

#2 ·
I'm not a big fan of the large security companies like you've listed. They have call centers throughout the US that handle their alarm calls. I chose to go with a local (very respected company) who has their call center in the town I live in. I just don't care to have my alarm answered by someone in another state.

Sorry but I can't speak as to the NH area, but I'd ask around and see who others use. Their testimonial is usually a pretty good indicator as to what kind of company you're dealing with.

Do you mean wireless as in the install... or wireless as in a wireless connection to the alarm company?

I am a huge fan of security systems! The peace of mind when you or your family walk into your home is priceless IMO.

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick response! In order...

-I share your dislike for the big box companies. Especially when they're much more expensive than the little guys. I've asked around, but with little success, hence my post here.

-I meant wireless as in the install. From what I gather, ADT does wireless while Brinks does wired. I'm fine with wireless if it works 100% of the time, and I'd prefer that over having my house hacked up by someone I don't know (to install wired).

-I agree. There have been a hundred or so breakins around here (rural area) lately and the wife has been asking for one for months. Time for me to do something about it before it's too late. (I also secretly need to fulfill my inner geek by having more blinking lights and touch screens installed on my walls, haha!)

#9 ·
Thanks for the quick response! In order...

-I share your dislike for the big box companies. Especially when they're much more expensive than the little guys. I've asked around, but with little success, hence my post here.

-I meant wireless as in the install. From what I gather, ADT does wireless while Brinks does wired. I'm fine with wireless if it works 100% of the time, and I'd prefer that over having my house hacked up by someone I don't know (to install wired).

-I agree. There have been a hundred or so breakins around here (rural area) lately and the wife has been asking for one for months. Time for me to do something about it before it's too late. (I also secretly need to fulfill my inner geek by having more blinking lights and touch screens installed on my walls, haha!)
ADT does both wired and wireless. Here in NY, if you have the wireless installed, you pay sales tax. With the wired install, you don't. Theroretically, the wireless unit is temporary and can be shifted to your new home.
Ron

#4 ·
In an existing home, wireless is the best route. Some installers won't even tackle a hard-wire job in an existing home. It can be done, but the time/labor involved is overwhelming!

As far as wireless, I am not afraid of it at all. We respond to alarm calls daily and if I had an existing house for the install, wireless would win hands down. We built or house 2 years ago and had it hard-wired then only because of foresight during the planning/design stages.

By going with the touch screens you'll add to the cost, but I agree.... they are cool!

One thing to consider before you decide on a system is to ask about a wireless backup (cellular line) or signal to notify the alarm company if/when the line is cut. An experience thief knows that most alarm systems are rendered virtually useless simply by cutting the phone line. Check and see what the companies have to offer to combat this situation...

#5 ·
Good post, thanks! I think I'm going to post on the local craigslist board for ideas about companies. The more I read about Brinks and ADT, the less I like them. Someone on another board spent $450 for "conversion" to a Brinks system even though their house was prewired. Imagine the cost if it wasn't (like mine)!

#6 ·
I am doing an extensive house remodel - removing a very old Brinks system - and will replace with something new.

Just had Brinks and ADT out to show me what they had - both wanted to hard-wire, but reluctantly would do wireless if desired. Reliability of hard-wired over wireless was the reason - both even charge more for maintenance of a wireless system. From their perspective, I guess I can see the point over the many year life span of the system - batteries, possible RF interference issues, etc. As for price - both were in the $1000 plus range for the system unit, one motion, several doors and windows, and two key fob remotes.

I have also be researching DIY systems - leaning towards a GE wireless system available from a variety of sources with monitoring from a number of companies.

As to your telephone wire being cut coming into the house - yes, this can be an issue but not so much if the entry is wholly underground and inaccessible from outside as is mine. Cellular can be used as primary or backup with most current systems - at a price of a couple three hundred for equipment plus a monthly service charge.

#7 ·
This thread is old from its inception but worth reviving for sure.

I was looking into a home system but wanted a DIY install. Didn’t want to pay the monthly fee. I wanted cameras, motion detection both inside and out and I wanted it to send video to my cell phone when tripped. Also wanted to be able to program it to turn on and off lights in the house in the evening.

Ended up with various components from different companies that all interface to one software system.

For software I went with HAL Deluxe. (Think of the movie 2001, a space odyssey) HAL installs in a standalone PC with Win XP and it talks to you. You can tell it to turn on lights, dim lights or start the coffee in the morning. I also use it as an alarm clock. I’m using 2 USB cameras in the house and 2 wireless cams outside. The set-up, when I’m done, will have my PC call my cell or up to 4 numbers I chose, when the system is tripped and send images in an email to my cell. I can decide then if I want to alert my neighbor, police, fire, etc. all in real time.

I have around $500 in it at this point and after adding a couple more light switches and a controller I’ll be around $750 complete. This does not include the unused PC I had laying around.

Not all that simple and others are available, but it certainly has the cool factor and worth the effort.

#8 · (Edited)
I have been doing Industrial and Commercial Security Systems for over 25 years and have seen electronic security devices evolve from basically a string and a few tin cans to....

Wireless devices installed in the right environment are 'virtually' just as reliable as hardwired systems.

Nothing against the 2 company's mentioned (they are very reputable company's), but it is up to the salespeople to sell you hard wire as opposed to wireless.

Anybody remember ultrasonics?.....those were the days....oh yeah and 110v going through a door contact.

HAGD

#11 ·
Did not know that about the tax thing in NY Ron.

I guess if the wireless OR hardwired system is in a home in Arkansas.....it can move with the home when the home moves.

Sorry, watching NASCAR at the moment.

Proulx06 has 'inner geek' I have inner '*******'.

Remember memorial day and all of those that sacrificed for us to be here.

Bunited2

#12 ·
Wired, wireless, doesn't really matter nowadays - both are great when installed correctly (wireless has come a long way in the past ten years).

Also didn't know about the tax thingy in NY - but I bet you pay it either way :laughing:

We move both wireless and wired systems - both leave holes (one just also leaves wire in the walls) :wink:

Having back-up for the phone line should be automatic - a very important feature!

Both referenced big co's do both wired and wireless...

To the big guys you are just a number, to the local guys you are a great customer they need to continue growth and provide all the personalized services and tech support you need.

Some local guys are switching to remote UL certified central stations for that service (I have used one for 12-13 years) - don't let the monitoring part sway your decision - a phone call is a phone call and a UL listed central station is usually much better than a non UL local operation. It's really the service that matters - it's nice to call and get a local guy/gal or even the owner when you have an issue.

Good luck with your choices...

Jim

#14 ·
Sean, you can purchase advertising on our site. use the contact us tab at the bottom of the page.

Continued posting of links to your site will be considered spamming, and be removed.

#15 ·
I used to work in home security.
Wired - the best way but it is tough to get an installer that will do a good job.

Wireless - only negative is to always have to change batteries.

Biggest problem with alarm systems is the false alarms. Pets, etc but it does make you feel secure.
I have been thinking of getting one too, biggest deterrant is the monthly fee.

We also sold cameras, but then again you have to leave your pc on nd have to make sure they don't steal the hard drive!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.