Home And Pool Vandalised With Fire Estinguisher - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2013, 12:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Home and Pool Vandalised with Fire Estinguisher

Young children broke into my vacant home and sprayed two dry chemical fire extinguishers all over the home and into the pool. The police are going to assign a detective to the case and I will call my insurance company tomorrow. There is no carpet. Does anyone have any idea what needs to be done for clean up? I just saw the words "Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher" but did not check for more specifics or chemicals. Any advise on the pool?

They also spray painted the pool deck. Any tips for removing that?

Thank You

Advertisement

SpaceCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:46 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,182

The powder is nontoxic---so a heppa filter in a shop vacuum is the first tool--then you will need to wash the area to remove the remaining dust---

I will leave the paint for others, my inclination would be to use a citrus stripper,but I have never actually done graffiti removal---

Advertisement

Old 10-14-2013, 04:36 AM   #3
Renovating My Land Yacht

Rewards Points: 552

Wow....sorry to hear this. is this inside as well? If so, hubby (Navy Damage control) said that that stuff can #$#*$ with your electrical if it was the chemical ones. Make sure its all checked by the insurance company. Pool electrics etc

Robyn

Last edited by forcedreno2012; 10-14-2013 at 04:39 AM.
forcedreno2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to forcedreno2012 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (10-14-2013)
Old 10-14-2013, 07:10 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 572

Dry chemical should be Bicarbonate of Soda. (baking soda)
Simple enough to read the label on the extinguishers and or contact the company that made them.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #5
Renovating My Land Yacht

Joe, Good call on contacting the company.

Just for clarification, most are bicarb, but there are some dry chemical combos that actually contain a foam or are "wet dry". The propellant is also something to think of, some use potassium and some use other acidic stuff. (I cant remember the names he rattled off lol - it morphed into one of those sea stories) The propellant can cause issues as well.

It also depends on where the miscreants got them. Was it the house kind or were they flogged from a commercial location? If they are commercial those are a different class.

Regardless of what the company states about inertness - I would still make sure that any electrical is checked out.

Robyn
Old 10-14-2013, 08:16 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,660

For the paint they make regular graffiti removers check Sher. Will. or on line.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,204

I would contact a company that specializes in this sort of cleanup rather than try to tackle it myself - that's what insurance is for. In my experience, if the fire extinguisher was the common A:B:C type, the dry chemical powder is NOT bicarbonate of soda. I forget what it's called, but it is irritating to the eyes, nose, and throat. It's also hard to clean up since it's such a fine powder. I once worked with designing and testing portable kitchen fire suppression systems, and can personally testify to that.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,482

For the paint, I would start with a pressure washer. Don't wait. Get to it while the paint is still soft. If that doesn't work then you look at various strippers.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:09 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 758

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedreno2012 View Post
Wow....sorry to hear this. is this inside as well? If so, hubby (Damage control) said that that stuff can #$#*$ With your electrical if it was the chemical ones. Make sure its all checked by the insurance company. Pool electrics etc

Robyn
The Navy primarily uses a dry powder coat Purple K but that's not very common outside of that, and airport CFR operations. Otherwise, as mentioned up by others the powders used are non-toxic and noncorrosive and thus very easy to clean up.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:42 PM   #10
Renovating My Land Yacht

Msradell - yeah pretty sure that a Military class of extinguishers were not used here - was merely a background for where I got the information.

There are multiple classes and types and not all are inert. Heck bicarbonate soda corrodes aluminum if its left on long enough.

The blanket statement that they are all inert and non toxic is incorrect (also see MDs post above) and therefore the OP (and anyone else cleaning up after the use of one) needs to verify what type was used, what powder and with what propellant before they clean up.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:12 AM   #11
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,460

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCoast View Post
Young children broke into my vacant home and sprayed two dry chemical fire extinguishers all over the home and into the pool. The police are going to assign a detective to the case and I will call my insurance company tomorrow. There is no carpet. Does anyone have any idea what needs to be done for clean up? I just saw the words "Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher" but did not check for more specifics or chemicals. Any advise on the pool?

They also spray painted the pool deck. Any tips for removing that?

Thank You
Find the ****heads that did it, and have them clean their mess up.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:12 AM   #12

Did a little checking. The chemical I referred to in my earlier post is mono ammonium phosphate. MSDS: http://www.atmos.umd.edu/~russ/MSDS/...nguisher_1.htm

Trust me, you don't want to breathe it or rub it in your eyes.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #13

Contacting the company. Off of the fire extinguishers.

1) 10-A 60:B:C
2) 10 B:C

Also going to go and talk with Fireman later today I guess they should know and can recommend what is most optimal.

Filed a report with police and waiting for the detective to be assigned. A neighbor saw the boys (9-10y/o) spray painting the street (spray paint cans from my hallway closet) and kicking down the shed and back door of another vacant home, and they are local boys, the neighbor is not aware of where they live but knows where their friends live, so hopefully something will come of it. They dumped the spray paint cans and gloves (no finger prints) in the storm drains.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #14

I can attest that it does indeed smell like ammonium.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCoast View Post
I can attest that it does indeed smell like ammonium.
Then it isn't bicarb. Despite the previous posts here, I think that is not much used any more. The most likely place for a household fire is the kitchen, and bicarb doesn't handle grease fires well.

Advertisement