Home Alarm System - Wireless? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2012, 09:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Home Alarm system - wireless?

Hey everyone - We just bought our first house (yay debt!) and currently there is no alarm and we want a little piece of mind. Have a small dog and a 4 year old, the neighborhood is a great neighborhood and very quiet but the criminals know that too. I see kits all over the internet for a few hundred $$$ that offer a couple cameras and motion detectors with couple FOB keychains but is this a good way to go? Maybe I should piece it all together? I don't need or want anything too fancy. Wireless is key though. Where do i start?

Advertisement

Alvysyngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,170

I'm sure that someone with more intimate knowledge of alarm systems will be along, but, in the mean time, here are a few related suggestion, pretty much in the order in which I look at such matters. Know your neighbors; it's like dating I suppose, in that it's not going to happen over night, but relationships develop, neighbors watch out for neighbors, and relevant information is shared. Look at the no cost things that you can do to enhance your personal and property security; there is information all over the web, including many previous postings on this forum, and they vary with individual conditions and circumstances, but may include things like keeping the garage door closed, trimming hedges, making sure that all of your windows and doors have locks, and that you use them, putting a stick or other prop in the track of patio doors, etc. Then there are the relatively low cost things, such as adding deadbolts, replacing stock hinge screws in entry doors with ones that go beyond the jamb and into the framing, security lighting, and so on. This is also an excellent time to assess personal and property security not related to violence or theft, such as fire, stairs, etc.; do you have extinguishers readily accessible, are your smoke and CO detectors in good operating order, are stairs kept clear of debris, etc. Simultaneously, contact your local law enforcement agency, and ask if they could have someone stop by for a security assessment; many of them are very accommodating in this regard. Then you are ready to look at alarm systems, and, in my opinion, one of the first questions would be whether you want a monitored system or simply a "noise maker". Personally, I would contact a, or preferably at least 20 or 3, local security system company(ies), and ask for estimates. Then, even if you ultimately did purchase something via the internet, you would at least have an opinion as to whether it was the right thing to do, and, not to abuse anyone or waste their time, but you will most likely learn more about the types of systems, and probably consider some things that have not even yet crossed your mind, by having a face to face meeting within the environment that you wish to protect.

Advertisement

Last edited by DexterII; 10-18-2012 at 10:23 AM.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,212

I understand your desire for peace of mind. But I have had a security system in several homes I've owned over the years, and must say they're more trouble than they're worth. Never once in almost 30 years of having the things was there ever a real alarm. Dozens of accidental alarms, usually from forgetting the system is armed and opening a door or window. It was the worst when our kids were teenagers. Actually had EMS respond once when one of the kids accidently hit the medical emergency button instead of the arm button on the way out to school, and was too far away to hear the phone when the monitoring company called. They broke into the house because there was no response to knocking on the door. They couldn't get the siren to stop, so cut the wires to the control panel.

DexterII has some good suggestions. Our current house is the most remote, isolated one we've ever owned, and we have no security system. Even if we did, EMS or LE response time would be 45 minutes or more.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 650

Quality of install is paramount! Have had 2 homes with no false alarms as mentioned!

The wireless systems today are very easy for the dyi person! There are even very reliable monitoring companies for less.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #5
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

You have a dog? That will do more good than any alarm system.

Get to know your neighbors....don't advertise what you have (keep the garage door closed when your not using it)....don't leave your xmas boxes on the street for trash pick up (Hey, look ma, they have a 50" TV)

Enjoy your house and don't worry about it...

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

In talking to our local alarm company, wireless are the way to go. Most wireless systems are easily integrated with security cameras and monitoring. Now I have a dog who acts like a guard and several firearms and also live in a safe, quiet, well armed neighborhood. But If I was installing an alarm it would be wireless...and some securith cameras with recording abilities. And you can have most systems monitored starting at about $10 a month Home Security Store | Wireless Security Systems, Alarms and Security Camera St
Old 10-19-2012, 12:09 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
In talking to our local alarm company, wireless are the way to go. Most wireless systems are easily integrated with security cameras and monitoring. Now I have a dog who acts like a guard and several firearms and also live in a safe, quiet, well armed neighborhood. But If I was installing an alarm it would be wireless...and some securith cameras with recording abilities. And you can have most systems monitored starting at about $10 a month Home Security Store | Wireless Security Systems, Alarms and Security Camera St

That is exactly where my son bought and the stuff arrived today! WOW!
digitalplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to digitalplumber For This Useful Post:
Missouri Bound (10-19-2012)
Old 10-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
You have a dog? That will do more good than any alarm system.

Get to know your neighbors....don't advertise what you have (keep the garage door closed when your not using it)....don't leave your xmas boxes on the street for trash pick up (Hey, look ma, they have a 50" TV)

Enjoy your house and don't worry about it...
Yeah, a vicious 7 lb Maltese!

But I will have a some level of basic alarm and monitoring since I have a collectible car and want to protect my family. I grew up with an old school alarm system and the only time it was a problem was when someone didn't pay attention. With the FOB's and wireless access I don't see this being an issue.
Alvysyngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvysyngr View Post
Yeah, a vicious 7 lb Maltese!

But I will have a some level of basic alarm and monitoring since I have a collectible car and want to protect my family. I grew up with an old school alarm system and the only time it was a problem was when someone didn't pay attention. With the FOB's and wireless access I don't see this being an issue.
Oh, cool....taco meat.......(just joking)

Ok....so how about some pics of the car? (minus the wana-be dog)

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #10
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,490

Nosy neighbors, a neighborhood watch, not bragging about what you have, or what you earn is a start, placing an alarm sign outside, or even having a dog that makes noise when people that should not be there walk up. Better than any alarm system out there.

Unless you have a multitude of break ins, I would not see it being worthwhile. We get break ins around our local neighborhood all of the time, but most are due to homeowners or renters not being aware of making the home or unit safe, by leaving their windows open, not securing windows on doors, that would allow someone to reach in and open said door, leaving drapes open when away, not having people check on the home while gone.

My best security system, is the sub shop across the street, and that we have neighbors on both sides of us that are home all of the time.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm , system