Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #1

Share |

Holmes Inspection Show

My search came up nothing on this. Maybe I used wrong search terms or it's archived. Anyone know if there already is a Thread on this TV show.
Much appreciated, I wanted to see what you guys thought of it before I commented.

Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #2
Coconut Pete's paella!

Holmes Inspection Show

The threads are mostly all about "Holmed on Holmes" which they called it before the "revamp"

CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #3

Holmes Inspection Show

One of my favorite shows.......they sure do tackle some awful jobs.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #4

Holmes Inspection Show

i've learned a ton from the show.

would be nice to have his budget though.....
williamwiens is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to williamwiens For This Useful Post:
chrisBC (04-26-2011), LeviDIY (04-13-2011), MegaMagma39 (04-29-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 09:14 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Holmes Inspection Show

There is a certain Home Inspector website that hates Mike Holmes. They believe that he is wrong in what he does in calling them out on not being through on their inspections, along with DIYer's and builders not properly following codes.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

Holmes Inspection Show

He doesn't always do things the right way either.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
chrisBC (04-26-2011), Edgar214 (05-13-2012), kwikfishron (04-12-2011), mae-ling (04-01-2012), Ravenworks (05-10-2012)
Old 04-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #7
Jack of all - master none

Holmes Inspection Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
Some of this comes from him being in Canada. Iglooland does things differently than some of the states.

The only thing I don't like about that show is his answer to just about everything is "it's all coming down." Your livingroom is painted an ugly color? Well, we'll just tear down your house and build a new one, then paint it a better color.

It does illustrate the ultimate incompetences of some DIYers and contractors though.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:05 PM   #8
Pro Flooring Installer

Holmes Inspection Show

Some of the TV contractors, like Holmes, Vila, This Old House etc. , do far worse jobs than many DIYers. My father was a GC, who built houses himself from the ground up. He could do everything including plumbing, HVAC and electrical. So I know how things should be done. Some of those shows give really bad advice.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #9

Holmes Inspection Show

I watch the shows for one main reason....it's entertaining. Some things are clearly overdone but "IT'S TELEVISION" And he's far less annoying that Bob (know it all) Villa. Some good ideas come across in the show, some not so good. But all in all it's just another home improvement show. And I do agree with the general statement about home inspectors. Just haven't figured out why the Canadians like the electrical panels sideways. Those panels aren't allowed as is in the Us
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:26 AM   #10
Retired from the grind

Holmes Inspection Show

Quote:
Need to explain further. You have to remember, Canada has different rulesets, than down South, where we are. And, if you are talking about the Sub's, that is something different than trying to state that it is the GC fault.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:29 AM   #11
Retired from the grind

Holmes Inspection Show

Rusty, Holmes is there to point out what is bad, and how he has the problem fixed. You have to remember, that he is not there to teach you the law, just to show you techniques, and point out why a situation is dangerous. Vila is a hack, pretty much all of the shows on DIYnetwork is garbage. If you want to learn how to do something right, follow the rules, understand the NEC, and the building codes for your area.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:47 AM   #12
Pro Flooring Installer

Holmes Inspection Show

I'm just saying, people should not take everything they see on these shows as the absolute right way to do things. Holmes is one of the better ones, but not even he does everything right. Vila was the worst I ever saw, with Dean Johnson a close second. DIY network had a series on flooring a few years ago that had many good ideas but went about many of them wrong.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:58 AM   #13

Holmes Inspection Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyunelan2 View Post
The only thing I don't like about that show is his answer to just about everything is "it's all coming down." Your livingroom is painted an ugly color? Well, we'll just tear down your house and build a new one, then paint it a better color.
No, that's "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition". I don't think they've actually renovated a house since the first season. Heck, they took down a 300 year old farmhouse when they had enough room to build a new one and leave the old intact.
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:12 PM   #14
A Little Of Everything

Holmes Inspection Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
There is a certain Home Inspector website that hates Mike Holmes. They believe that he is wrong in what he does in calling them out on not being through on their inspections, along with DIYer's and builders not properly following codes.
There are some home inspectors - I'm thinking specifically of some who contract with the FHA - who should have their licenses revoked and be flogged on the spot.

One such genius forced my son & his wife to paint a patio in the middle of their back yard, but he completely missed 6"x10" hole in the roof. I'm talking, "through the shingles & sheeting and down into exposed insulation" hole.

What is wrong with these people?
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:38 PM   #15

Holmes Inspection Show

Quote:
I'm just saying, people should not take everything they see on these shows as the absolute right way to do things. Holmes is one of the better ones, but not even he does everything right. Vila was the worst I ever saw, with Dean Johnson a close second. DIY network had a series on flooring a few years ago that had many good ideas but went about many of them wrong.
I haven't watched Home Time since Dean & Robin were doing it years ago. When Steve Thomas left, I quit watching that show also.

I just started catching Holmes maybe 3 or 4 months ago. My feelings are mixed.
Are these homeowners calling the lowest bidder inspectors or are they really getting screwed?
HGTV must be supplying his budget. What looked like a minor plumbing problem,
turns into a brand new kitchen with all new appliances and tile work.$$$$$
I really just keep watching it for when Damon(?) and his crew come in. It's entertainment and I learn things. They sure do use a lot of cordless drills/drivers........ can't say I've seen them using airguns before.

Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote