Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
JOATMON

Share |

Holmes Effect?

Just came across this article....

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/homes/H...193/story.html

Holmes has been talked about a lot in the past....as the article mentions, contractors either love him or hate him.

Personally....I can see both sides....to a point. No excuse for a contractor doing sub-par...not to code work. But at the same time....I can also see it not being any real advantage going above and beyond code....unless the home owner is paying for it.

As we all know.....it takes x work to accomplish y job.

But it takes x*2 to accomplish y + job.

In other words, it's typically not a linear curve on work vs results.

Case in point....the contractor who just did the stucco on my house.....I would rate his work Y+ .......I know enough to know what they had to do at a minimum....but they also went the extra steps on a lot of things...things that I was not expecting....

Even though I had properly flashed all my windows....they went back in put in an extra layer and used that rubber sticky stuff....crawl space vents? They used rubber around all of them. The guys even put color coat on the concrete foundation below the walls so that it looks all the same.

They even washed the windows on the outside when they were done....

Each day I look at it and take a sigh of relief at how good it looks....

He is the kind of contractor I would not hesitate to recommend....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #2

Holmes Effect?

I agree there are too many getting away with sub par and downright bad work. My beef with Holmes is he goes too far the other way. Theres a crack let's tear the whole wall out and see whats going on. The sinks leaking you need a new kitchen. You know what I mean. Now let's make it right.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Holmes Effect?

I love the stupid garbage he comes up with like, "and we did it all for only $700.000.", when the original builder was limited to something like $24,000.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
JOATMON

Holmes Effect?

I think we are all guilty of sticker shock and scaling back what we originally wanted.....

Yes...he does go overboard a lot....but then again, if the original contractor had done the job they were supposed to....Holmes would not be there...now would he?

At least it's one of the few programs that shows you the right way to do stuff....it's not like Extreme Makeover that is more about tears and advertising.....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 09-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Holmes Effect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
I think we are all guilty of sticker shock and scaling back what we originally wanted.....

Yes...he does go overboard a lot....but then again, if the original contractor had done the job they were supposed to....Holmes would not be there...now would he?

At least it's one of the few programs that shows you the right way to do stuff....it's not like Extreme Makeover that is more about tears and advertising.....
You have to be real..... would Holmes be there for the same $24,000? You don't get gold plated when you're only willing to pay for brown paint.

You don't honestly think these homeowners actually pay for those Holmes jobs, do you?
Old 09-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
JOATMON

Holmes Effect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
You have to be real..... would Holmes be there for the same $24,000? You don't get gold plated when you're only willing to pay for brown paint.

You don't honestly think these homeowners actually pay for those Holmes jobs, do you?
Oh, I know they don't.....that is why they get the brand names in there...

But....lets be honest....some contractors do ****ty work.

But would it not be better to be up front with a home owner and tell them they can't get a Cadillac for the price of a Yugo?

Old 09-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #7

Holmes Effect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
I agree there are too many getting away with sub par and downright bad work. My beef with Holmes is he goes too far the other way. Theres a crack let's tear the whole wall out and see whats going on. The sinks leaking you need a new kitchen. You know what I mean. Now let's make it right.
Yeah but how interesting would it be to watch if he's just going to repair a crack or seal a pipe? As the article states, his shows provide "engaging television fare". Viewer ratings = advertising bucks.
kimberland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #8

Holmes Effect?

But don't forget no matter how flat you make a pancake it has 2 sides. Like what was the original told, I only want this done, I can only spend this amount of money. Yea it looks good on TV but in real life when money is a factor it's a lot different than when everything is free. On a side note that is kinda funny on another site there are a lot of canadians and they have proof Holmes is not a licensed contractor in fact they have a TV interview where he admits it. He works under someone else's. And yes I agree there are 2 many out there doing bad work.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #9
Old School

Holmes Effect?

Quote:
Oh, I know they don't.....that is why they get the brand names in there...

But....lets be honest....some contractors do ****ty work.

But would it not be better to be up front with a home owner and tell them they can't get a Cadillac for the price of a Yugo?
I have often installed a cheaper toilet or faucet because the homeowner didn't want to pay $300 or $400 for the appliance.... the chose to go with the $73 dollar job.

Should I have just packed up and walked away, refusing to install what they wanted? Maybe..... in the ideal world. In the world where you have to justify already spending a full day there, and still buy groceries... maybe not so much.

Holmes gets maybe $5,000, and donated materials.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #10
Pro Flooring Installer

Holmes Effect?

Quote:

Many contractors would disagree with the statement that Holmes shows the right way to do stuff.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #11
JOATMON

Holmes Effect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
Many contractors would disagree with the statement that Holmes shows the right way to do stuff.
I think your reading something into my statement that I did not put there....where do I say "Holmes shows the right way to do stuff"?

There are several ways something can be done....he shows one of many

Old 09-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #12
Old School

Holmes Effect?

Quote:
I think your reading something into my statement that I did not put there....where do I say "Holmes shows the right way to do stuff"?

There are several ways something can be done....he shows one of many
Loop Hole Alert!!!!!!!

He said "the program".... not actually the specific name, "Holmes".

Look out Obama... you've got competition.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #13
Pro Flooring Installer

Holmes Effect?

Well ok, I disagree with "the program shows the right way to do stuff".
And they do show Holmes way to do stuff, so I don't see much difference.

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
Willie T (09-05-2013)