Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-20-2011, 09:47 PM   #1

Share |

Hinges - cabinets

We purchased some new hinges for our bathroom cabinets. The existing holes in the wood pretty much line up with the holes with the new hinges. When it's all said and done, the doors either hit each other or doesn't close all the way.

What needs to be done is the hinges need adjusted by about 1/8 in or less. Obviously I can't drill a new hole without "connecting" to the existing hole.

Is there a product out there that I can fill in the existing hole and let the product harden and then drill a new hole? Something that is very solid and will not crack if i'm drilling close to it?

I'm not sure if regular wood putty will work or not. What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

TheSimpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:01 AM   #2
just a tool guy

Hinges - cabinets

I have drilled out the old screw holes and glued in wooden dowels. After the glue dried it's just like screwing into virgin wood. A lot of experts here though...there may be better options I don't know about.
Mick

mickey cassiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:57 AM   #3

Hinges - cabinets

What he said, but don't drill out larger holes(usually 1/8 to 3/16") than the new hinge will cover. Wooden matches, toothpicks, etc., can even be used. Glue them in, trim flush, redrill for the new hinge when the glue is dry.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:55 AM   #4
Household Handyman

Hinges - cabinets

Both methods stated work very well, to each his own via experience here. Experience has taught me that if I am trying to repair a stripped out screw thread in wood, then the "toothpick" trick is the way to go. Patience helps here, let the toothpicks and glue dry thoroughly before trimming and sanding smooth. One the other hand: moving a hole, such as you will be doing, warrants a new, smooth, surface to start with, thus the "fill in the hole completely with small dowel rod/glue and start over" method. You will find that each will work, for a DIY person I would recommend the dowel rod/glue method.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:42 AM   #5
STAFF

Hinges - cabinets

Are you talking about screw holes or holes for Euro hinges?

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote