DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Hinge door stop

7K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  fred2007 
#1 ·
I thought this was going to be so easy. The only kind of stop I can use on my door is a hinge door stop, but it won't work because the hinge pin does not remain tight in the hinge after I put the stop in the pin. It seems that the original hinge pins have a slightly larger diameter in the top 1/4 inch of the pin and it is this additional diameter that keeps the pin tight in the hinge. However, the stop covers up this part of the hinge pin so that the pin cannot 'set' itself in the hinge. I tried longer replacement pins but because the part of the pin that has a slightly larger diameter is still only the top 1/4 inch of the pin, the pins still do not remain in the hinge with the stop installed. It seems that in order to use a hinge stop, you also need a companion hinge pin that has an enlarged diameter (at the top) which is longer than the width of the stop. Any suggestions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.