Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2008, 06:46 PM   #1
DIY-Lifer

Share |

Hi new guy in town :).

Hi all this is Manny from so. California and just joined this DIY chat forum. I started to replace some 1x1 strips of wood over some exposed roof rafters in my fron outdoor porch. After stripping the old strips I saw alot of damage to the exposed rafters...termites and rot. So I went searching online for a solution and here I am. I did some research and found I need to first use some epoxy adhesive to glue the splits in the rafters then scrape the rotted/termite voids with maybe the same and gonna try some bondo to fill in the large and deep voids on the wood. I think it will be cheaper that way...any ideas from you all.
Thanks for having me here I'm getting up there in age but still like to do my own work on my house when ever I can save lots of money the contractors charge now a days.
Be seeing you.
Manny

izz4u2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:09 AM   #2

You can't fill structural framing members with bondo like it's a dented fender. You need to have someone who knows what their doing, come in and properly access the damage.
Try posting some pictures.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:54 AM   #3

Agreed. Non-structural lumber can sometimes be filled and brought back to life after termite damage and rot, but not rafters. There is no way to restore strength to the lumber. My suggestion would be replacement of the rafter.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 06:16 PM   #4
DIY-Lifer

Smile

Ok I took some shots of the area I was talking about. Hope they come out good and the problem are can be clearly seen and understood. Load bearing I think is not really so important in the area I want to fix. If I did replace the bad rafters...I would have to take off alot of the new tile roofing and that would be a giant job for me. Heres the pictures.
Thanks for all your imput and advise
Manny
Attached Thumbnails
Hi new guy in town :).-1.jpg   Hi new guy in town :).-2.jpg   Hi new guy in town :).-3.jpg   Hi new guy in town :).-4.jpg  
Old 08-17-2008, 06:36 PM   #5

If these are subterranian termites and they got up that high, you can bet there's alot more damage closer to the ground. The front wall might be infested or heavily damaged. I wouldn't even bother with the rafters until the full scope of the damage is discovered.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 06:46 PM   #6
DIY-Lifer

Question

ok I know wat you r saying I had my house tented and treated for termites a couple years back. and gonna have the perimeter of house treated for those nast subterranian buggers soon. I don't wanna have to tear down that wall...I know there is probably alot of damage inside. I replaced a side window on the right side there and had to refram the bottom under the window. The short studs were all eaten up so I took them all out. This house was built 1978 and was never treated until I had it done..according to my neighbor next door and he has been there since house were built.
Thanks
Manny
Old 08-17-2008, 08:57 PM   #7

Ok, that appears to be rafters just for looks. That is good news because you can work something out, provided the part under the roof isn't damaged. There's a chance they're structural in some way, but I doubt it.

I see one problem for sure. They should be flashed in such a way to prevent water from sitting directly on them. Or...They should be treated material...Too late for that.

Two options that I see...

1) You can replace the rafter, or at least the exposed portion.

2) You can stabilize the rafter with epoxy filler (if you want to) and add 1x cedar to each side and the underside of it to essentially box it in and make it look good again. Basically you'd be creating a trimmed box beam, only with no structural attributes. You definately need to have some flashing made by a sheet metal company that would cap the assembly to prevent further damage (should be pretty inexpensive). You'd have to do the same thing to all of them to make it look good, but it would be a real aesthetic improvement for a small investment. You could stain the wood or caulk and paint.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:10 PM   #8
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
If these are subterranian termites and they got up that high, you can bet there's alot more damage closer to the ground. The front wall might be infested or heavily damaged. I wouldn't even bother with the rafters until the full scope of the damage is discovered.
Ron
I agree!. replace anything thats rotted or eaten. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:11 PM   #9
DIY-Lifer

Cool

HI guys and thanks for the input on those exposed rafters for looks. Further inspection I think those rafters go all the way up to peak of roof line. There is that one really bad one and the buggers damaged passed the area I show in the pics. But still just that one looks the worst . I am gonna try to replace the worst of the exposed rafters with splicing in new 2x's and also gonna get some flashing to the tops after sealing the wood and new paint. Today I saw my buddy that does stucco work and some remodeling on the side. He tore off the whole outaside stucco material mesh and all down to the studs on his house, intalled fiberglass insulation and topped it all off with some yellow board. Then sealed every joint with epoxy and mesh like doing drywall joints. then he put 2 inch foam on top and put a coating of some new stuff that looks like it has sand in the mix and trolled it on like stucco but it comes out looking smooth and man!!! looking good . I will try to send a picture of the above...if he lets me hahahahaha. He already told me.."you better not use the colors i used"...hahaha ok ok.
Thanks again and I will keep you posted on my progress with the rafters if my boss (wife) lets go of some $$$..
Manny
Old 09-09-2008, 12:28 AM   #10
DIY-Lifer

Talking

Hi DIYers I have an update onthe exposed rafters I am fixing. I did some searching and found some stuff called wood hardner made by Minwax and I got a large plastic syringe and poured it into all crevices and holes on the bad or worst rafters. I was so excited I forgot to take pictures after it had dried. I went ahead and put some wood putty on that mess you see of a rafter above picture and also put some filler wood pieces instead of some drywal mesh. I did put some on all the tops of those rafters and will be sealing everything up with some good primer then paint. I will send a picture after I sand the putty smooth before I paint them ok.
The bad rafter was pretty bad and decided since the exposed parts did not hold up too much weight...just some 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 patio boards I just fixinf them. Later when I hit the lotto I will repalce those rafters all the way up!! )))
Manny