Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
Jenny

Share |
Cool

Hi, I am the new nerd next door - Help - House is Sinking!

Hello, we are looking into buying a home built in 1924 for our first home. One problem.... The front of the house seems to be sinking for lack of a better word. Lets try, leaning? Leaning works, maybe. The ground around the front end of this small house looks like it was over watered at some point possibly but my dad said this might be a leak under the house or a sewer leak... That would turn this 109,000 house into a 150000. Is this right? How would we know and if it was fixed, would we then have to reset the foundation.... Oh my. Any ideas or thoughts would be marvelous. We live in San Diego if it helps any.

Our problem seams to be wether or not we should put an offer on this house if it will turn into the money pit. We are bother students and I am a stay at home mom and we need to save, not spend.

Thanks in advance for reading and any help you can toss my way.

newmomofjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Hi and welcome to the DIY Chatroom.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:31 PM   #3

Welcome aboard!
Angie1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #4
Jenny

Talking

Thanks for the welcome guys~ This place really looks like a wealth of great information.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:24 PM   #5

sounds like a great opportunity for a couple just getting started in life. First, I'd want to crawl around under the house, assuming there's a crawl space and not a slab to see if there are cracks or if the house was just built this way in 1924. If there are cracks I'd have a soil engineer take a look at it to give you an expert opinion. In my experience this kind of settling can be due to a variety of things such as the house was built on an orchard and the tree root system was left intact so has rotted over time causing the ground to collapse. Could also have been built over a city dump in which case termites or rodents have caused the collapse. Earthquakes over the years cause ground to move around.
SeeDBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:26 PM   #6
Jenny

Thank you for the help. Unfortunately my old man works/worked for Home Depot and lost his job today. No house for now. It will happen some day.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:27 PM   #7

Sorry to hear that Mom of James. Hope things turn around soon for you.
Timberwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:45 AM   #8

In my meager years of assaulting the vagaries of life, I've come to the very real conclusion that if my plans don't go as expected, it's best to shift gears and go with the flow. Keeping the magic of an "open heart" has protected me more than once from pursuing something inappropriate for my real happiness.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not one of these, "Well, it's God's will" types - I just think we attract what we need, if we just stay centered and take our hands off the control levers occasionally.

Home Depot's severance of your old man just might've saved you guys from a structural nightmare.

We make our OWN good luck!
Christopher
windowelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:45 AM   #9

keep looking around and keep in touch with the market.nobody needs to know your situation just even if its walking into sellers open house.keep up with the dream.....it beats paying rent should be your most scariest thoughts of the future.once the dust clears with all that is going on with the housing market you never know.that foundation situation would of been totally on the sellers back $$$$ if he was to offer it to you.the bank would of reviewed the engineers report(mandatory with loans) and threw up a flag to the price payed.good luck....follow up check out Property Ladder on TLC cable for some horror sories and they are flipping the houses on there.

Last edited by biggles; 01-31-2009 at 02:10 PM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaking sewer foundation