Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2008, 05:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Help w/boring under a driveway....

I need to put a 4 inch conduit under my driveway to re-route a sump pump discharge. Lacking a boring machine, "directional or other wise," what are some of the options for getting a "4 inch" hole poked under the drive. I'm going to go a bit diagonal so the bore would be no more than 10 feet, probably less.

I'm assuming that there are no rocks under the gravel bed for the driveway. A water hose on a 1 inch ridged pipe would probably get a small hole through there, but I need room for a 4 inch PVC. What are some of the methods that you folks have used, or is this definitely a boring machine job? I guess I could cut the driveway but wanted to avoid that if I could.

It's pretty much level, a little down hill, so will have to dig a receiving pit, but I'll have about 15 feet of straight trench to dig getting to the drive that would allow me to lay out flat any length of pipe needed to get under the drive.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Bob

Bobrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

I have a sump pump also and it pumps out in a 1/12" line or 2" at very tops. Do you REALLY need that 4" to drain it?? Second question, where is it going to?? Storm sewer? or ditch?

If I were to do this my 'preferred' pipe would be heavy wall pvc 3"(or smaller)."IF" your talking 4" thin wall drain pipe,,,I wouldnt use it,,,weight of dirt OR stepping on it will crush and break it!!

justdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:52 PM   #3

Thumbs up

Justdon - Thanks - probably should have explained a bit better.

My sump discharge comes out of the front of my house below ground with a 1-1/2 inch line, and then dumps directly into my "underground" down spout drain system (thus the 4 inch line) and the down spout line runs over to the side of the house before it comes up to ground level.

It's a combo of both the sump pump discharge and the down spout drain system that I need to get to the other side of the driveway. I was planning on using the thickest wall PVC I can buy just for the part under the drive. I can also put in steel if necessary, but would like to use the PVC for ease and expense.

But you have given me food for thought. You've made me think about taking the sump line out of the down spout drainage system and extending that line only over to and under the driveway. It would be much easier to poke a 1-1/2 line under the drive than a 4 inch, that's for sure. I can live with what water comes out of "just" the downspouts, it's the sump that dumps water for 3 or 4 days after a hard rain, and it all runs into the drive at the front of the garage doors.

I may just do that very thing. Do you know if there is any problem or concern with running a 1-1/2 diameter discharge line for 60 or 70 feet before it can dump? Would there be any pressure issues? It would be all sloped down a bit, no up hill at all. Hey - I could also up it to a 2 inch line outside the house if there were pressure concerns.

All right!!! THANK YOU! I think that's exactly what I'm going to do. Up it to a 2 inch line outside the house and run that over and under the drive.

Do you see any potential problems with that?
That should work OK right?

Bob
Old 03-04-2008, 09:55 PM   #4

Justdon -

Sorry - I didn't answer where the line would dump. It would just come above ground on the other side of the drive on my property and run onto the lawn, down hill and out into a field.

Thanks
Bob
Old 03-05-2008, 09:02 AM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

There are companies that have specialized equipment for such. Can't quote you prices, but I know it's not cheap. They bore a rod thru with a small chain or other, and then use that to pull boring/drilling thu to the other side.

I do not know if rental companies carry such equipment.

We had an industrial client (company) that needed data lines run from one building to a new building in the same office park. They called up, but before we could look into it more, they located a company that did it. I think, they may have paid $1500.00, for the one area that was bored out? Often, such work has a minimum cost, then a LF rate....
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:30 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

I had to run landscape wire underneath a circular concrete driveway that was about 10' across. I dug down on both sides of the driveway to create troughs right at the edge that were about 16" deep, 2' wide and 5' in length alongside the driveway. Then, with two long lengths of 3/4" PVC pipe, a PVC garden hose fitting, a PVC coupler and a plastic "water drilling" or sweeper nozzle, used simple garden hose water pressure to make a channel under and across it. The 16" depth was necessary to get the PVC rig as close to the ground as possible and therefore keep it fairly level as I fed it through. The PVC bends so once it gets started, you can keep it from dipping and drilling downward. The troughs are necessary so that dirt and water have a place to go as the water is boring the hole. All-in-all, the hole I made was about 3" in diameter by the time I got it fully across. So, if this is something you think might work in your case, you could pull the rig back and forth with the water running to open the hole up more. If there are large rocks or solid debris buried under the driveway where you start, you may have to try "water drilling" in a different spot. This method does make lots of mud and you may have to dig up some of it and pile it up as you go but it's one way used out here in AZ to get something under a concrete slab.

Last edited by End Grain; 03-05-2008 at 10:44 AM.
End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:44 AM   #7
Master General ReEngineer

Ayuh,...

I know it's not what you want to hear,...
But,...
Cutting,+ trenching your driveway will probably be the Cheapest,+ easiest way to go....
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:42 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

pressure washer?
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:36 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,106

I've never used one but this might work:
http://www.borzit.com/customhtml/
jogr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:50 PM   #10
nap
You talking to me?

10 feet or less? just dig yourself a tunnel if it comes to that. 10' isn't that much to dig under something.

Other than that, you can use a combnination of a couple things;

water drilling is probably your best bet though. If you use a spray nozzle that angles, you can rotate it and drill a larger hole.You can also use this driling rig and place it inside the 4" pipe. A sledge hammer will help it along. Use wood blocks to prevent damaging the pipe
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:25 PM   #11

Thumbs up

Hey guys - Thanks for all the great input. I appreciate it much. This is one of the best sites for straight forward information, I have ever come across. We're getting some warm days here in central KY and will be starting the "big dig" under the drive soon.

I just measured my discharge and it's 2 inch OD. Does anyone see a problem with running this size line about 60 to 70 feet before it discharges into open space, or should I up it to a 3 inch OD at some point. I have a 1-1/2 hp pump and was wondering about pressure built up.

Again thanks for all the replies....Bob
Old 03-07-2008, 07:28 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,106

I imagine your pump manufacturer can tell you how high and how far it will pump through a 2" pipe. Check their documentation and if you don't find the info give them a call.
jogr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:49 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,026

One problem with boring under a driveway is not being able to recompact the soil underneath and then the driveway buckles and collapses along the route of the pipe. The end result can be a patch that looks worse than cutting the driveway and trenching for the pipe installation.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:46 PM   #14

Jogr - Good point & I'll give them a call. Thanks

AllenJ - I thought about that as well and it's a concern I've had. I thought if I could go with a 2 inch OD that I would try to water bore it and put it as far down in the ground as possible under the drive. If I see that it's starting to sag I'll cut the drive at that point and compact it dirt and patch the drive. But that would mean a much bigger cut than a 2 or 3 inch if I did the cut on the front end wouldn't it? Hmmmmm! I just I'll have to ponder that one for awhile..... Thanks...Bob
Old 03-09-2008, 06:54 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,026

I forgot to mention that any driveway sagging or buckling will not happen right away. It may be weeks or months later, after the affected area has been driven over a lot.

AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote