Help With Stink Coming From Toilet Area. - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Help with stink coming from Toilet area.

I replaced the floor in my bathroom about 5 months ago (laid stick time over more stick tile) so I had to remove the toilet. I went and got a new reinforced wax ring (the one with the plastic piece on the inside of the ring) stuck it down and was good to go.

About 2 months ago all this water started coming out from the bottom of the toilet after a flush... this lasted for 4 days until I had the time to take the toilet off again.

Turns out the PVC piece the toilet bolt to, one side of it broke where the bolt was connected... I assume when this happened the wax seal must have split for water to go through?

Anyway, instead of another Wax ring, I bought a Wax Free gasket... where you peel off the sticky side and stick it to the bottom of the toilet and the 4" shaft fits down into the PVC.

Well ever since then there has been this stink, coming from the toilet area. If I go in the basement and open the sewer, it smell completely different then the off smell coming from the toilet.

Is the smell from the toilet sewer gas? Even though the stink is totally different?

Would pulling the toilet out again and keeping the Wax free gasket on, but also putting wax around that ring work? When I installed the sticky side to the bottom of the toilet, it did not want to stick very well...

Ideas?

Advertisement

Integraoligist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,064

Does the toilet "wobble"?
Is it loose?

Is the PVC "flange" that the toilet is bolted down to secured to the
sub-floor?
(It should be)

Is the face of the "flange" above - below - even with the surface
of the finished floor?

rossfingal

Advertisement

rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

I think you're pulling the toilet again.
Did you fix the broken flange?
You might have a very small leak that's causing mold/mildew smell under there.

Last edited by Ron6519; 11-16-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:18 PM   #4

Yes, I replaced the flange with a new one... the old one slid right out of the PVC pipe so when I bought the new flange i just slid this new one on... no glue or anything. The very top of the flange is probably 1/8" to 3/16" above the floor. The toilet is bolted down and does not wobble.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Something isn't sealed and allowing an odor to escape or a leak is causing the smell. Either way, you're pulling the toilet to see what's going on.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:38 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,064

Try gluing the flange to the PVC pipe.

RF
rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:45 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integraoligist View Post
Yes, I replaced the flange with a new one... the old one slid right out of the PVC pipe so when I bought the new flange i just slid this new one on... no glue or anything. The very top of the flange is probably 1/8" to 3/16" above the floor. The toilet is bolted down and does not wobble.
You have to glue the flange. Slipping it on, still allows for sewer gases to escape. Most likely the smell you are smelling, is a combo of mold/mildew and sewer gas.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:58 PM   #8

What about the wax-less gasket that I used, it has ribs on it to help seal as it goes down into the pipe but i assume the gases would be coming up through there as well?

Also, does it matter that the flange is a little higher then the actual floor?
Old 11-16-2011, 06:01 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

The waxless ring is good. Especially if you have to pull the bowl, if you have small children, or people that are clumsy. The gasket seals at the top, when you tighten the screws. If you have access to the bottom, I would go down there and do a visual and sniff test. For all you know, the smell could be coming from behind a wall (ie dead critter, mold/mildew).
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:16 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 258

You could have "water" trapped between the layers of tile.

Advertisement

tribe_fan is offline   Reply With Quote