Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2009, 09:11 PM   #1

Share |

Help stablizing dresser

Hello. I have an antique/old dresser I want to repurpose as a kitchen island/work surface. While the dresser is solid I want to do what I can to strengthen it as it will be on casters and moving around. Attached are some pictures.

I plan on using wood screws to provide additional strength to the supports that connect the drawer segments to the frame. I also will add two inches of plywood to the bottom connected via these supports in the back and screwed at an angle into both the front and rear legs. This will require removing the small support currently next to the front legs but I don't think that will be difficult.

I am leaving the original legs since they look nice but will cut off about an inch so that the casters will role freely. The casters will be attached just behind the legs.

The rear panel of the dresser is a thin piece of plywood (3/8") attached by finishing nails. Do you think I should pull this off and put a thicker piece of plywood? If so how thick? Would putting thicker plywood connected by woodscrews to the frame provide greater stability? Another thing I would like to do while the back is off is attach an Accuride Center Mount Slide for each drawer.

I have been considering Corian for the top since it weighs less than granite. Do you think Quartz would be too heavy?

Please let me know if you need additional views to provide suggestions.

Thanks so much for your time.

Attached Thumbnails
Help stablizing dresser-dresser-supports-2.jpg   Help stablizing dresser-dresser-underside.jpg   Help stablizing dresser-dresser-front.jpg  

Honk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:50 AM   #2

Help stablizing dresser

I doubt that those legs were designed for much rolling around. There should be gussets at all four corners. They could be curvy so they look less like gussets. Also add gussets inside, since they won't show. Decorative plywood on the back only needs to 1/4" or so. Thicker is heavier, and this furniture was originally designed to hold clothes.

Quartz is just as heavy as stone, go with solid surface.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:23 AM   #3

Help stablizing dresser

Thanks for your post. I wanted to clarify that I planned on attaching the plywood on the bottom to the frame of the dresser which is directly above the legs. In the configuration I'm planing the dresser legs would just be a decoration. The casters would be carrying the weight of the piece. I just want to make sure I am reinforcing the dresser frame appropriately so that the added casters are connected in a structurely sound manner.
Honk is offline   Reply With Quote