Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2010, 08:14 PM   #1

Share |

Help - rotten exterior wall support studs

Hello, looking for some help/advice about a section of an exterior wall that we noticed that appeared to be sinking between our patio door and window. After inspecting the area and exposing the studs behind the narrow section we determined that the support studs for the house frame and the headers above the door and windows are rotten and resulting in the sinking! I have included several pictures that show the section of wall in which you can see the door and windows. There are some that give a close up of the rotten area ... The window has a base board that appears to be rotten on the end by the door ... The window is rather large and I am assuming that I will need to remove the entire window. I am assuming that I need to jack up the two headers to level out the wall frame and then replace the rotten studs, Then remove the jacks. I wonder if I will need to remove the door and windows to jack up the headers. I think the window needs to be removed to replace all the rotten wood for the window base. Does this sound right as an approach? Any advice would be helpful and appreciated.
Attached Images

Charbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:16 AM   #2

That looks to me like termite trails, not rot, but the result is the same. Those studs support window or door openings and must be replaced

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:27 AM   #3

Your issues will have to be dealt with from the sill plate up, not just the wall studs. You're probably looking at rim joist repair as well.
But first on the list would be to treat for termites if you saw any live ones. Before you say yes or no, go into the basement and open the ceiling under the door and window. Check out the framing already mentioned as well as any floor joists that are close by. If you find no active colony, proceed to identifying wood that needs to be replaced. From the size of the headers, this wall is load bearing. Proceed with caution as this wall will need to be supported properly before you start removing framing material.
If you've never done this before, seek proper guidance or the results will be, " unsatisfactory" at best.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote