DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Help! My marble is too big!

3K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  pureonyx 
#1 ·
Someone offered to give me the block of marble they are getting rid of from a front step, but it's too big to manage alone! Even with 3 or 4 people, it's next to impossible. It's measurements are 44" x 24" x 7", and it weighs in around 720 pounds. And Ideas on how to possibly breaking/cutting to stone into smaller pieces, without ruining it?

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't know how you could cut it flat on the ground, but it looks like it is on a raised edge if you put some small pipe down and use a truck to pull it over the pipe you could either maneuver it for 8 people to pick up or position a pipe in the center then try a kerf cut and sledge off center with a buffer board in between.

I've only split one inch slabs and have no idea how a 7 incher would react.

#3 ·
I would cut it across with masonary saw, roll it over and cut the opposite side also!
Then, as previously mentioned, roll it up onto a piece of pipe until the pipe is centered under the cut.
Then, give it sharp hit with a sledge hammer, at the elevated end.
Should snap off quite nicely!

#4 · (Edited)
if your moving that use straps, pry bars,and at LEAST a skid loader!! IF you get enough people around it to lift it,,,where do you all stand?? On top of one another??

Here is one thought,,,an experienced mover WITH the right tools and ideas for moving OR cutting etc,,,would be your local burial monument place. (where they sell and install headstones) THEY can handle it safely and properly,,,and MAY be able to cut it a bit if required. MIGHT be best money ever spent

#6 ·
If you want to cut it, get a circular saw with a cheap abrasive masonry blade. Make a cut about an inch deep wherever you want it cut. Then use a hammer and a cold chisels and make a series of impacts along the cut until the stone fractures all the way through on its own. Rap the first chisel a few times until it sticks in the groove and applies tension to the stone. Then use the other chisel to work the remaining groove. When the first chisel pops out, put it back.

If you consider the top now, will be the top later, then you should first turn the stone over and make the cut(s) on the bottom of the stone. This way the top will look good in the future and there won't be any random chisel marks.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.