Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2009, 12:18 PM   #1

Share |

Help with moisture behind sheetrock in garage

HELP ?
Garage sheet rock is wet and coming apart. No leak from roof, no leak from galvanized pipes above, no leak apparent from cedar verticle siding getting past the 15# tarpaper, which has hefty 1' overlap. Studs seem not to be soaked, however, there it is possibe that there is a moist draft coming in from the soffit vent under the eve. There is a horizontal board nailed to the outside face of the studs, just below the cap boards at the top, to nail the cedar siding to. This board has about a 1/2" gap which is exposed to the soffit vent area.

Is it possible that on a windy, rainy day that moist air (not water) gets into this dead space (between studs, tar paper, and sheet rock) and has no where to go but thru the sheet rock?

If so, should I put up Tyvek on the side of the studs facing the inside of the garage before I replace the sheetrock? Or, would it be better to seal off that 1/2" gap area? Or, just say to heck with it just put up greenboard?

Thanks in advance,

Soggy "drywall"
Houston, TX
Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:26 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Personally, I would not put anything back up inside the garage, until you get the outside problem fixed first.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:23 AM   #3

The damage you describe can not be done with moist air. Water is getting in somewhere.
Remove all the damaged sheetrock and look around. Use a hose on the exterior to mimic rain so you can get on with the proper repairs.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #4

Greg and Ron,
Thanks. Good advice about no new wall until the source is located. Hi pressure water squirted on the outside boards is not producing the same results cuz the tar paper is overlapped so high that water cannot travel up high enough to get in. A little gets past a few of the nail holes (nails holding up the cedar planks which punched thru the tar paper) but leaky ones show a small drip trail in the dust now that was not there when I took down the soaking sheetrock. The gypsum outside and inside paper was falling off when I took it all down and the gypsum crumbled in my hands.

As far fetched as it sounds, I am still thinking it is moisture coming in thru the eve vents on particularly windy rainy days like we have recently had. It probably just ends up going down the back side of the sheetrock. It is a mystery I have not previously encountered in my 50 yrs of diy construction.

So, am going to:
1. nail boards up to the cap plate, between the studs, blocking the small area accessible to the eve and venting.
2. see if one sheetrock gets moist. If not, then will re-finish the wall.

Please stop me if this is a bad idea.

Spirit
Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Very bad idea. Take a picture (please no close up Macro shot, make it a wide angle about 6-8', and try on a sunny day) from outside, and if you can from inside, you may need to use some extra lighting to light up the area. Pictures do wonders in getting help.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote