Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-24-2009, 08:03 PM   #1

Share |

Help with making a slab door straight.

So I'm doing a job in my bedroom and decided I wanted new doors. I took off the old ones and took them to the dump. Now I install the new slab door and it's crooked in the frame. The hinge is not closed on the top hinge as it is on the bottom hinge. I put this door in before doing the hinges and it fit. Now it does not fit. How can I straighten it up? Also, it's going to end up being about 1/8th of an inch too wide. What's the best way to correct this?

To get the hinge spacing I put some tape over the jam and traced the jam plates on the tape. I then transferred the tape over to the door (sticky side out) and cut out the spots for the hinges. Chiseled that out as well. The hinges fit o.k. but the door is really crooked.

roost4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:06 PM   #2

any pics?

Jay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:10 PM   #3

yup need eyes on it
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:14 PM   #4

My first thoughts would be maybe too much paint on the door and hinge recesses...or possibly the door warping before it was finished (painted)...did it sit around in humid conditions before you painted it?

1/8" too big (after it was fine) is quite a bit.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:21 PM   #5

If you end up having to shave the door...do it on the hinge side, IF you've already drilled out for the knob.

If you've got the hinge recesses done and no knob hole drilled, you can trim the knob side.

Just something to keep in mind.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:36 PM   #6

Another thought (as always), use a straight edge on your door (4' or 6' level if you've got one) to check for actual warpage of the door.

A lot of times the the existing frame can be wracked, or not in the same plane, which isn't always a problem, as I've had to install doors in crooked walls, they just take more tweakin'...but you should know whether it's the door itself, the frame, or both...a lot of the time you can make all of them work, but it does take some patience (and like everything, some experience helps).

J