Help With Interior Design Ideas! - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2011, 12:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Help with interior design ideas!

Hi there all,

I'm new to this forum because I'm seeking help. I live in a home that I rent from my parents. The home doesn't have finished walls and is in a great deal of disrepair. I am trying to come up with cost effective means to make the interior look nice without actually hurting the walls or having to finish the sheet rock. I don't have the know how, tools, or money to do so. My parent's ran out of funds for this property a long time ago and can't help either. I have looked up paneling, wallpaper, tapestries, and even cloth. All of these things won't really work because the area is quite large. Any input would be highly appreciated!

Thanks very much!

Advertisement

lizabj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:08 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,306

As a do it your self project with no money to speak of--Drywall----learn how to do that---

It's not beyond your ability to learn----the materials are cheap---the money spent will actually improve the house instead of money spent hiding the mess behind some fabric or cheap paneling.

Learn how to improve your place and not add to the demolition costs for a future buyer.--Mike---

Advertisement

DangerMouse (11-17-2011)
Old 11-17-2011, 02:49 PM   #3

Wink

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your input. After reviewing the options it really is the only smart choice. I really want to be able to learn how to fix things up on my own without having supervision. That will be great!

Again, Thanks!
lizabj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lizabj For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (11-18-2011)
Old 11-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #4

Maybe your parents would chip in with you to help pay for the drywall since they own the place & it would add to the value. Just a suggestion Good luck!
MissRedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:18 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Firstly, more infomation please. You describe the existing wall is lined with sheet stone. How deep is this? if its more than 1/4 '', battening with 2x1 pine first, then sheeting with drywall and finally painting won't be possible. You will need to remove the existing sheet stone? back to the timber studs. Then you can sheet with plasterboard without the battens, (you call drywall in the States) and repaint. If you build the wall thickness too much, you will have major issues with the window and door architraves, Why can't you just spot fill marks and repaint the existing wall sheeting if it's thin.? Stone sheeting (I assume cut stone flakes or thin blocks bonded to sheet) can look terrific, but collect dust and can't be painted because of the surface texture and colour oops! color in your english. Maybe some photos would help to describe the problem.

Cheers! from Oz. Joe
JoJo-Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:37 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Posting photos of the house will help.

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decorating ideas , decorating my living room , interior decorating , redecorating , unfinished room