Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2011, 07:14 PM   #1

Share |

help! installing preformed laminate counters

Hi! We are about to install preformed laminate counters to the base cabinets and was wondering if you are supposed to screw through the plastic corner piece on the base cabinet (it has a hole in it for screw) directly into the underside of the counter (which is just particle board). Of course, we will use the correct size screw so as not to come thru the top of the counter, but is this the correct way? Everything we can find on it says to screw to the underside of the counter, but I don't want to mess up my new counters if this not correct. We need help! Thanks in advance!
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:37 AM   #2

Yep, page 201; http://books.google.com/books?id=odQ...page&q&f=false Be mindful they are only plastic....

Don't forget to scribe the backsplash to the wall before installing countertop.......

Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:15 AM   #3

I sometimes add a dab(not a bead) of silicone adhesive at the cabinet corners, also. Usually not needed, but just to make sure. The screws do the holding.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:37 AM   #4

I'd second Bill's comment, a couple of screws to locate them and then silicone will hold them snugly. Once properly installed, countertops tend to be trapped against the walls and between appliances so they don't have much tendency to move very much. In my experience most of the movement tends to be backwards, from leaning against the tops, so as long as they are firmly set to the wall you should be fine.

And totally off-topic, hey Wilmington! Good to see another local DIYer on here, I'm trying to be handy in New Castle
ThatDaveGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
old guy contractor

The plastic corners are sometimes very flimsy so be careful not to wind the screw so hard that it could come up through the countertop.
tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
Tileguy

Are the plastic corners screwed or stapled to the cabinets?

In some cases they are only stapled and probably should be checked for stability if you intend to use them to "draw-down" a counter top.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote