Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #1

Share |
Angry

Help.....icedam,ceiling falling in

Please help,I have had new roof,installation,air vents sfits etc etc,,,,,,,and again,I had ice and10 buckets collecting the water dripping from my kitchen ceiling,this been since we moved in 35 years ago,,,,,,,what is the solution,Irealize it is a design fault of a side split,,,,,there must be a genius on ice and ventilation
tsotros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
Handyman

There are all sorts of reasons for leaks. Did they install ice and water shield before the shingles? Have you checked appliance venting...bathroom fans, etc. Are they venting into the attic? Dryer vents into the attic are the worst culprit.

Dave

Last edited by canadaclub; 05-13-2011 at 05:41 PM.
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsotros View Post
Please help,I have had new roof,installation,air vents sfits etc etc,,,,,,,and again,I had ice and10 buckets collecting the water dripping from my kitchen ceiling,this been since we moved in 35 years ago,,,,,,,what is the solution,Irealize it is a design fault of a side split,,,,,there must be a genius on ice and ventilation
Sorry, do not believe, because of 1) Improper Grammar, and 2) It is now Summer. Only place it would be Winter, would be on the other side of the Globe.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:18 PM   #4

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Sorry, do not believe, because of 1) Improper Grammar, and 2) It is now Summer. Only place it would be Winter, would be on the other side of the Globe.
I did not realize this was a grammar class,not very good on the comp.
Yes I live in the snow belt of Canada,now spring ,I can resolve if I find the root of the problem,which I have had for 35 years,many contractors and solutions,but never resolved.......perhaps you can help
Old 05-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
Handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Greg..relax. spelling bad, yes.grammar..thats you're bad

Back to the OP (in the snowbelt..I know it) and its not summer..summer is never coming. <<<as per my previous post..answers?

Dave
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #6

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaclub View Post
Greg..relax. spelling bad, yes.grammar..thats you're bad

Back to the OP (in the snowbelt..I know it) and its not summer..summer is never coming. <<<as per my previous post..answers?

Dave
Hi Dave, I only live about 1 and half hours from Oakville north,so now you know what happens in the winter/spring. I will check the bathroom vent.
Chris
Old 05-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #7

i know how you feel! I put a roof over my back porch a year ago,last summer. Its a shed roof with a 2/12 pitch. It ties into the hip roof on the house whose pitch is 10/12.
Although i built the roof, i hired roofers to do the roofing, because of the low pitch.
They used a two layer roll roofing. the first course is nailed down, the paper pulled off and the top course is lain on top. It sticks on contact.
They removed about 36" of the house roof and installed ice and water shield. Then they ran the roll roofing up over top of the I&W shield. Then for aesthetic reasons, reinstalled the standard shingles that were removed for the I&W shield.
The first winter all was well, but last December we had 4 feet of snow fall over night. Then, we had a quick thaw and an ice dam formed above the I&W shield allowed water to run under the shingles.
Now, I have to install a second course of ice and water shield.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:07 PM   #8

Pictures of the problem area inside, outside, in the attic would help the experts help you with your problem. On the surface it sounds like whoever installed your roof and ventillation did not understand the science of proper attic ventillation. There are people on here that do. But you may have a different problem and that's where the pictures would be most helpfull.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:35 PM   #9

Quote:
I did not realize this was a grammar class,not very good on the comp.
Yes I live in the snow belt of Canada,now spring ,I can resolve if I find the root of the problem,which I have had for 35 years,many contractors and solutions,but never resolved.......perhaps you can help
You've had the problem for 35 years and now all of a sudden you can fix it if you find "the root of the problem". I would think after 35 years you'd have given up the ghost.
It's the roof! Remove it and have one put on correctly.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #10

Unhappy

Hi, I appreciate the replies
I do not have photos.I did see ice drops in the attic,this is after the new insulation and styro boards installed. The ice on the roof where the 2 levels meet was about 12 inches thick,so we did not solve the problem.
I also live in s/w Ont so we have same winter.
I appreciate the idea of changing the whole roof but now I am a widow and do not have the cash!!!!!!!,and this had never been suggested over the years by contractor.
So I march on to another ideaThanks
Old 05-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #11

Put in a request to Mike(I'll make it right) Holmes. Seriously, 12inches of ice collecting with no pictures to see, I don't see how you'll get much help here.
Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Hi, I appreciate the replies
I do not have photos.I did see ice drops in the attic,this is after the new insulation and styro boards installed. The ice on the roof where the 2 levels meet was about 12 inches thick,so we did not solve the problem.
I also live in s/w Ont so we have same winter.
I appreciate the idea of changing the whole roof but now I am a widow and do not have the cash!!!!!!!,and this had never been suggested over the years by contractor.
So I march on to another ideaThanks
My idea is that your problem is infiltration of warm, moist air from inside the house.
Is there a vapour barrier on the warm side of the ceiling insulation? if not, its possible to paint the room ceilings with an alkyd paint to form a vapour barrier.
If there are electrical cables running down from the attic their access holes need to be caulked to prevent leakage there.
Any room electrical boxes that have exposure in the attic should be sprayed with expanding foam on the attic side to stop leakage.
The access hatch to the attic should have a foam seal to prevent leakage around the jamb.
These are things that can be attended to, without much expense. Whether it resolves your problem or not would remain to be seen. However, these should be done anyway, so it wouldn't be a waste.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:58 PM   #13

Smile

Thank you Wildie,I will check around the light fixture in the attic.
I did not know alkyd paint could form a barrier.
I am going to try and find a good person to consult about spraying the inside of the lower level roof
Hope you solved your problem, seems s/w/ ont. has a lot of houses with this problem
I have laughed and cried a lot over the years
Old 05-15-2011, 10:18 PM   #14

I am going to try and find a good person to consult about spraying the inside of the lower level roof

Insulating the inside of a roof is not usually done. Your intention of doing so is worrisome.

There may be extenuating circumstances that this would be necessary, but I have a problem visualizing what this would be.
Without further info. it seems to be a futile exercise, to me!