DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   General DIY Discussions (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/)
-   -   Help.....icedam,ceiling falling in (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/help-icedam-ceiling-falling-104384/)

tsotros 05-13-2011 05:12 PM

Help.....icedam,ceiling falling in
 
Please help,I have had new roof,installation,air vents sfits etc etc,,,,,,,and again,I had ice and10 buckets collecting the water dripping from my kitchen ceiling,this been since we moved in 35 years ago,,,,,,,what is the solution,Irealize it is a design fault of a side split,,,,,there must be a genius on ice and ventilation

canadaclub 05-13-2011 06:39 PM

There are all sorts of reasons for leaks. Did they install ice and water shield before the shingles? Have you checked appliance venting...bathroom fans, etc. Are they venting into the attic? Dryer vents into the attic are the worst culprit.

Dave

gregzoll 05-13-2011 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsotros (Post 647218)
Please help,I have had new roof,installation,air vents sfits etc etc,,,,,,,and again,I had ice and10 buckets collecting the water dripping from my kitchen ceiling,this been since we moved in 35 years ago,,,,,,,what is the solution,Irealize it is a design fault of a side split,,,,,there must be a genius on ice and ventilation

Sorry, do not believe, because of 1) Improper Grammar, and 2) It is now Summer. Only place it would be Winter, would be on the other side of the Globe.

tsotros 05-13-2011 07:18 PM

ice & leaks continue
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzoll (Post 647288)
Sorry, do not believe, because of 1) Improper Grammar, and 2) It is now Summer. Only place it would be Winter, would be on the other side of the Globe.

I did not realize this was a grammar class,not very good on the comp.
Yes I live in the snow belt of Canada,now spring ,I can resolve if I find the root of the problem,which I have had for 35 years,many contractors and solutions,but never resolved.......perhaps you can help

canadaclub 05-13-2011 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzoll (Post 647288)
Sorry, do not believe, because of 1) Improper Grammar, and 2) It is now Summer. Only place it would be Winter, would be on the other side of the Globe.


Greg..relax. spelling bad, yes.grammar..thats you're bad:laughing:

Back to the OP (in the snowbelt..I know it) and its not summer..summer is never coming. <<<as per my previous post..answers?

Dave

tsotros 05-13-2011 08:46 PM

snow belt
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by canadaclub (Post 647309)
Greg..relax. spelling bad, yes.grammar..thats you're bad:laughing:

Back to the OP (in the snowbelt..I know it) and its not summer..summer is never coming. <<<as per my previous post..answers?

Dave

Hi Dave, I only live about 1 and half hours from Oakville north,so now you know what happens in the winter/spring. I will check the bathroom vent.
Chris

Wildie 05-13-2011 11:04 PM

i know how you feel! I put a roof over my back porch a year ago,last summer. Its a shed roof with a 2/12 pitch. It ties into the hip roof on the house whose pitch is 10/12.
Although i built the roof, i hired roofers to do the roofing, because of the low pitch.
They used a two layer roll roofing. the first course is nailed down, the paper pulled off and the top course is lain on top. It sticks on contact.
They removed about 36" of the house roof and installed ice and water shield. Then they ran the roll roofing up over top of the I&W shield. Then for aesthetic reasons, reinstalled the standard shingles that were removed for the I&W shield.
The first winter all was well, but last December we had 4 feet of snow fall over night. Then, we had a quick thaw and an ice dam formed above the I&W shield allowed water to run under the shingles.
Now, I have to install a second course of ice and water shield. :mad:

Jim F 05-13-2011 11:07 PM

Pictures of the problem area inside, outside, in the attic would help the experts help you with your problem. On the surface it sounds like whoever installed your roof and ventillation did not understand the science of proper attic ventillation. There are people on here that do. But you may have a different problem and that's where the pictures would be most helpfull.

Ron6519 05-13-2011 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsotros (Post 647297)
I did not realize this was a grammar class,not very good on the comp.
Yes I live in the snow belt of Canada,now spring ,I can resolve if I find the root of the problem,which I have had for 35 years,many contractors and solutions,but never resolved.......perhaps you can help

You've had the problem for 35 years and now all of a sudden you can fix it if you find "the root of the problem". I would think after 35 years you'd have given up the ghost.
It's the roof! Remove it and have one put on correctly.
Ron

tsotros 05-14-2011 01:44 PM

ice
 
Hi, I appreciate the replies
I do not have photos.I did see ice drops in the attic,this is after the new insulation and styro boards installed. The ice on the roof where the 2 levels meet was about 12 inches thick,so we did not solve the problem.
I also live in s/w Ont so we have same winter.
I appreciate the idea of changing the whole roof but now I am a widow and do not have the cash!!!!!!!,and this had never been suggested over the years by contractor.
So I march on to another idea:(Thanks

Tizzer 05-14-2011 03:21 PM

Put in a request to Mike(I'll make it right) Holmes. Seriously, 12inches of ice collecting with no pictures to see, I don't see how you'll get much help here.

Wildie 05-14-2011 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsotros (Post 647709)
Hi, I appreciate the replies
I do not have photos.I did see ice drops in the attic,this is after the new insulation and styro boards installed. The ice on the roof where the 2 levels meet was about 12 inches thick,so we did not solve the problem.
I also live in s/w Ont so we have same winter.
I appreciate the idea of changing the whole roof but now I am a widow and do not have the cash!!!!!!!,and this had never been suggested over the years by contractor.
So I march on to another idea:(Thanks

My idea is that your problem is infiltration of warm, moist air from inside the house.
Is there a vapour barrier on the warm side of the ceiling insulation? if not, its possible to paint the room ceilings with an alkyd paint to form a vapour barrier.
If there are electrical cables running down from the attic their access holes need to be caulked to prevent leakage there.
Any room electrical boxes that have exposure in the attic should be sprayed with expanding foam on the attic side to stop leakage.
The access hatch to the attic should have a foam seal to prevent leakage around the jamb.
These are things that can be attended to, without much expense. Whether it resolves your problem or not would remain to be seen. However, these should be done anyway, so it wouldn't be a waste.

tsotros 05-15-2011 03:58 PM

ice & leaks continue
 
Thank you Wildie,I will check around the light fixture in the attic.
I did not know alkyd paint could form a barrier.
I am going to try and find a good person to consult about spraying the inside of the lower level roof
Hope you solved your problem, seems s/w/ ont. has a lot of houses with this problem
I have laughed and cried a lot over the years

Wildie 05-15-2011 11:18 PM

I am going to try and find a good person to consult about spraying the inside of the lower level roof

Insulating the inside of a roof is not usually done. Your intention of doing so is worrisome.

There may be extenuating circumstances that this would be necessary, but I have a problem visualizing what this would be.
Without further info. it seems to be a futile exercise, to me!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 PM.