Help With Hollow Rivet - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2009, 07:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Help with hollow rivet

I am hoping that someone here might know how a particular type of rivet works. I am trying to repair a small folding magnifier that I got off eBay, and have become quite curious about it after investigating rivets for a few hours.

The hollow rivet that is supposed to hold the folding joint of the magnifier together was not assembled properly, so that the 2 halves of the rivet simply fell out when I opened the package.

The rivet consists of 2 hollow brass tubes, approx. 1/4" in diameter and 1/2" long. One end of each tube is slightly flared. One tube is slightly smaller than the other, so that it fits snugly inside the other tube.

Below is a very crude ASCII drawing of what a tube looks like:

|----------
|
|----------

The problem is that I can't figure out how the rivet is supposed to be work. The rivet is supposed to span a length of 3/4", but each half is only 1/2" long. So it seems like they are supposed to attach somewhere midway up the tubes?

If I examine the tubes very closely, it appears that the non-flared ends are extremely slightly upset. One end is flared in and the other is flared a little out. Are these 2 upset ends supposed to hook together somehow?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated as I am genuinely curious about this.

Advertisement

max6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 622

Help with hollow rivet

Do you mean the assembled length is 3/4 inch ? My first guess would be that they are supposed to be a press fit on each other.

Advertisement

SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:26 AM   #3

Help with hollow rivet

Yes, the assembled length is about 3/4", while each part is 1/2" long.

I don't really know much about this stuff, but the fit of the 2 parts is fairly loose. There really isn't any friction to hold them together.

The curved inside edges of the rivets do slightly catch on each other, but that leaves an extra 1/4" jutting out.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:38 AM   #4
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Help with hollow rivet

likely made in china where they put in the wrong pieces and it didn't compress properly.
try gluing it with epoxy.

DM
Old 10-22-2009, 10:18 AM   #5

Help with hollow rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
likely made in china where they put in the wrong pieces and it didn't compress properly.
try gluing it with epoxy.

DM
I agree with you completely.