Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2011, 10:04 AM   #1

Share |

help - flooded workshop - what to do???

Ok, here's the rub:

I built the workshop floor slab on compacted 0-3/4. I put the floor level about 2" above the surrounding ground level. In the past 3 weeks we've had about 4 (?) feet of snow with a bit more to come. The problem is that the ground is still frozen, even under the snow. We had a thaw a week or so ago and the water collected under the snow but couldn't escape so it is flowing to the closest lowest point. That is now my workshop floor.

I'm not suffering a lot of damage because everything is on 3" casters but the humidity is very high and I can't vent the workshop without the chance of the water freezing on the floor. I've only got about 1/2" over most of the floor.

Question #1: how to stem the tide temporarily until the thaw is complete and I can dry out the workshop. We've 6' high snow banks all over the place.

Question #2: how to prevent it in the future. I was thinking a dry sump outside the workshop so the water has somewhere to run but I fear that will freeze up too.

Thanks for the help.

Allthunbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
DIY staff

Jack hammer a hole for a pit---Now! Get the hole deep enough to operate a pump--Put an old piece of ceramic tile in the bottom to keep gravel out of the pump--(until you can get a liner and drains in)

That will get the water out of the shop until the spring thaw---then consider installing outside drain pipe
that will go to the pit---along with a floor drain or two.---Mike--

Old 03-16-2011, 05:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Jack hammer a hole for a pit---Now! Get the hole deep enough to operate a pump--Put an old piece of ceramic tile in the bottom to keep gravel out of the pump--(until you can get a liner and drains in)

That will get the water out of the shop until the spring thaw---then consider installing outside drain pipe
that will go to the pit---along with a floor drain or two.---Mike--
Thanks Oh'Mike:

Didn't have a jackhammer so I used a peevee, shovel and a pick. I managed to get a hole about 2' deep and 1' diameter dug. In the spring I'll get a proper drainage well dug and a drain placed around the slab. In the meantime I have a pump installed and operating.

Thanks again.
Allthunbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:59 PM   #4
DIY staff

I had to do this myself once.

At least the water is leaving the shop----glad to help.

-----Mike-----
Old 03-17-2011, 06:28 AM   #5

Spray everthing that is metal with WD40, keeping moisture out is what it was designed to do.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just Bill For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-17-2011), Ron6519 (03-17-2011)
Old 03-19-2011, 07:36 PM   #6

Is the floor dry now?

If the floor is dry or just has a few wet areas on it, then open the doors and windows and admit a roomful of cold outside air. Keep the heaters or heat on and the relative humidity of the air will go down drastically as the air warms up. Have a fan or two on to keep air circulating througout the room. Water on the floor will evaporate more quickly. Repeat.