Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #1

Share |

Help fixing large hole - exterior and interior wall

Hi there,

I have problem - an old window that needs to be removed and a wall that needs to be insulated and patched.

I live in Toronto, Ontario and it's starting to get chilly so I need to get this fixed up.

I have no idea what to do first - do I fix the outside and insulate? If so, what in the world do I use? Plywood? I want to remove all of the faux brick that's there and put siding up but doubt that I'll be able to get to that before it gets too cold...so for now I just need to know how to get this fixed to get me through the winter.

Three pictures - two of the inside of the house - you can see it's been patched somewhat but not nearly enough to keep the house warm through winter. One is of the outside to give you an idea of what I'm dealing with.

Thanks everyone!
[IMG]

Last edited by fricknfrack; 09-20-2011 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Pictures did not seem to attach :)
fricknfrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
Tileguy

"Three pictures?" They didn't make the trip apparently.

Whoops...there they are. Slow loading I guess.

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:44 PM   #3

The hard part will be to do the exterior. They haven't made that siding in decades. If you have that siding in an inconspicuous location, you can take it from there and incorporate it into the wall.
The rest is straight forward.
Frame the opening with 2x4's
Sheath the outside with 3/4" exterior plywood.
Insulate the framed opening.
Vapor barrier.
Sheetrock.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:55 PM   #4

I'm not going to be using any of that brick stuff...I want to redo the entire back of the house with siding at some point. Can I just leave the plywood exposed given that we're about to go through a Canadian winter? Do I need to cover it with vapour barrier on the outside?

I'm assuming the vapour barrier you mentioned below goes on the inside of the house and not the outside?

Sorry - I'm really, really new at this
fricknfrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:13 PM   #5

I would cover the plywood with something. You need to keep the water out. The cheapest and easiest would be some tar paper. When you reside the entire house cover everything with house wrap(Tyvek).
Old 09-20-2011, 06:22 PM   #6
jschaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by fricknfrack View Post
I'm not going to be using any of that brick stuff...I want to redo the entire back of the house with siding at some point. Can I just leave the plywood exposed given that we're about to go through a Canadian winter? Do I need to cover it with vapour barrier on the outside?

I'm assuming the vapour barrier you mentioned below goes on the inside of the house and not the outside?

Sorry - I'm really, really new at this
I think you could just close up the exterior with some 3/4 plywood. A good coat of primer and exterior paint should hold up at least 1 winter. Get any cracks sealed and insulation in there.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fricknfrack View Post
I'm not going to be using any of that brick stuff...I want to redo the entire back of the house with siding at some oint. Can I just leave the plywood exposed given that we're about to go through a Canadian winter? Do I need to cover it with vapour barrier on the outside?
You need to weatherproof the area. As Joed said, tarpaper and appropriate flashing to temporary seal the window.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote