Help Fixing Draft - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2008, 10:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

help fixing draft

Hello all,

I was wondering what the best way to stop a draft from an exhaust fan over my range would be. The fan is a large metal broan hood fan that exhausts through the side of my home a few feet away, however I am getting a cold draft coming down through the ductwork that into my kitchen. It appears to be a spinning devise that pushes the air up the vent out of the house, I believe the damper is not closing properly, or at least one side of it. should I plug that up? Just want to make sure I am doing it right as well as safely. Also, something I could remove easily should I need to use it.

Thanks,

Justin

Advertisement

Last edited by justin76; 01-21-2008 at 10:53 PM.
justin76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

help fixing draft

motorized damper?

Advertisement

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #3

help fixing draft

Justin - wondering if you ever solved your range exhaust problem? I have the same issue - range venting to side of house producing cold draft back through fan.
maxfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

help fixing draft

i also have this issue. my temporary fix was to block the outlet above the stove with a piece of rigid foam, fitted in where the filter goes. Kind of a PTA, since I have to take it out when I use the stove, but it is working pretty well, at least until i come up with a more permanent solution.
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #5

help fixing draft

191 - thanks, that's a great idea. My vent actually vents down (it's a vent in between the burners) so should be easy to just drop a fitted piece of rigid foam in there when not in use. Thanks!
maxfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:50 AM   #6
FTRR

help fixing draft

Depending on your exhaust pipe location you can use redline's suggestion or a cheaper manual damper if the pipe goes up through a cabinet this would be a concealed but accessible damper location.

Advertisement

FamilyTreeRemod is offline   Reply With Quote