Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2010, 10:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Help Finding A 22" High Workbench/Table?

Hi Everyone:

Thanks for the great and informative site. I'm looking for a workbench/table for indoor use. It doesn't have to be too heavy-duty, but it will be holding about 100lbs of A/V & musical equipment.

I have seen many attractive tables and workbenches for sale from industrial suppliers, 60"x30" for example, this packing table (I don't need the shelf on the bottom if that makes a difference):

Something like this is exactly what I'm looking for *EXCEPT* the lowest height available is 28". I need something lower for health/accessibility reasons. Does anyone know of a (preferably height-adjustable) table/bench that goes as low as 22 inches? I'd even settle for 24, but 28 is simply too high. I'm hoping to keep it under $500. I don't need drawers, shelves, casters, etc.

Thanks!

alextsnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:05 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

If you build it, they will come! You'll save some money if you can find some plans online and build the bench to your height. Countertop would be the most expensive part.

gmhammes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

I built my workbench from 8' 2Xs for under $30.00.... with bottom shelf.
15+ years old and still solid.

DM
Old 04-24-2010, 11:05 AM   #4

Get an IKEA table and cut 8" off the legs. They sell stuff for less than I can buy the lumber.
You may have to brace the legs with struts, 14" max length, 8 ea.
Or you could rip the 4 ea. 8" pieces into 8 pieces. With these short struts, bolt them rather than screw them to the legs & top.

If you want to test your design to the industry-wide safety factor of 4, carefully and gradually load the table top with 400#. Only post the video if it collapses.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 04-24-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:56 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10
Thumbs up

Thanks for the lightning-fast responses, guys.

gmhammes and DangerMouse: Initially I seriously considered building this myself. If it were an actual workbench, I probably would have, but it's basically a glorified low, long table. I've built my own microphone preamps, shelves, PC, and done CAD/CNC milling; so I have nothing against the DIY spirit, believe me! Right now I'm using a set of $10 end tables from Wal-Mart with a large piece of MDF from a discarded entertainment center I saw for free on Craigslist.

Yoyizit, I did a major face-palm when I read your post. "No stupid, you can only cut lumber, not furniture you buy at the store." The Ikea in Covina, CA isn't too far away; I'll have to go take another look, this time with the mindset of shortening the stuff myself.

I do have a quick follow-up question: While a traditional table will probably work best, one of the desks of theirs that I've always liked is basically three large pieces of beech-laminated MDF (it would look great in this room!). I am confident I can cut all the way around the bottom of it evenly, but do you think there'll be any significant or noticeable splitting/splintering of the finish near the cut line?

It looks wobbly; I'd probably further brace it anyway:

Thanks again!
alextsnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextsnet View Post
Their 'strut' extends 1/3 of the way down. Probably what would fail from overstress is the fastener/sides connection. Somebody might post online the pull-out strength for MDF and various fasteners.

I'd ask IKEA what their design load is for a table of this type. For purely vertical loads, if you could ever have such a thing, this design is probably quite strong.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 04-24-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote