Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2014, 10:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Help with electric cigar box latch

I am currently designing a custom made cigar box that will be activated with either some double A's or a 9volt. But I have not been able to find a simple latch or lock mechanism that is cheap and runs on this low power. Essentially im looking for a small hook and rod device that automatically locks when closed and then unlocks when activated. If you dont quite understand feel free to ask me further questions.

purplepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:50 AM   #2

I have built a humidor and this idea never crossed my mind. That being said I think it could be made. You would build two electro magnets that move a latch back and forth. You would have to wind the moving metal parts with copper wire in two different directions to achieve your goal. The rest would be how many wraps of copper to move what you are trying todoy, etc. Good luck

maintguru@hotma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepack View Post
I am currently designing a custom made cigar box that will be activated with either some double A's or a 9volt. But I have not been able to find a simple latch or lock mechanism that is cheap and runs on this low power. Essentially im looking for a small hook and rod device that automatically locks when closed and then unlocks when activated. If you dont quite understand feel free to ask me further questions.
Search for solenoids that run on 9v or below or scrounge one from a junk VCR.

Put a capacitor across your battery. Then you can draw very high amps for the 0.1 second or so it takes to move the latch for the lock or unlock solenoid.

Magneto Motive Force = amps through the winding x number of coil turns

Almost certainly you can get this to work.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote