Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #1

Share |

Help with concrete floors

I am remodeling the basement unit of a duplex that I recently bought and need some advice on the concrete floors. I should preface this by saying that the ceilings in this unit are only 6'6" so I have to conserve every millimeter that I can. The main issue is in one of the bedrooms where the concrete is in really bad shape. There is about a 2 inch difference in height between opposing corners of the room and the concrete is very rough and uneven. My plan is to get it flat enough to lay vinyl resilient flooring planks. The flooring is a float not a glue down.

The main room also had some serious issues including one area where the concrete looks likes it has been chipped away. The spot is about 3'x3' and about a 1/2-3/4" deep at its deepest spot.

I was thinking about using a self leveling product like ardex in the bedroom but am worried that the height different might be too much and I would need way to much product.

Any suggestions for either room? Thanks.
ngordonmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngordonmd View Post
I am remodeling the basement unit of a duplex that I recently bought and need some advice on the concrete floors. I should preface this by saying that the ceilings in this unit are only 6'6"
cutting to the chase... that height is likely illegal.
Don't do anything until you clear that hurdle including written code language
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TarheelTerp For This Useful Post:
danpik (12-18-2013), joecaption (11-22-2013), Live_Oak (11-23-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #3

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/exp...e#.Uo_y0RMo7IU
Old 11-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #4

The other thing which concerns me (more than ceiling heights) when people start talking about bedrooms in the basement is adequate fire escape. You need to have windows of proper size and with an unfinished ceiling height of 6' 6", I doubt that exists. This would mean that you need to install a sprinkler system.
Bob Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #5

Thank you for the replies. I can address both those issues. The apartment was grandfathered in several years ago, has it's own address, it's own power meter from the city and has already passed inspection during this remodel. I should clarify that while it was likely a basement at one point, the floor is only about 1 foot below the ground level, so it has 2 doors that open directly to the side yard and several windows that are 3-4 feet above ground level.
ngordonmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:10 PM   #6

Just a bit of advice, from a finisher. If you've never used Ardex before it's pretty difficult to work with and could get pricy if you have a 2" difference. Level set, level quik, or a similar product is basically mix and pour. It does the work and some cure to 5000 psi. Just be sure to clean the heck out of the floor, power wash or grind if you can, and fill any cracks with an epoxy the manufacturer suggests. Also use their suggested bonding agent. Good luck with your project
Big44dog is offline   Reply With Quote