Help! Big Bulge In The Wall - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2008, 11:30 AM   #1
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern California
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 10

Help! Big Bulge in the Wall

Me and my girlfriend just purchased a house about 3 months ago, it's a ranch 3 bed 1 bath flat roof slab foundation built 1952 (great pick right!ha) first time home buyer. Anyway yesterday we noticed a big bulge in the wall of one of the rooms which we're pretty sure wasn't there before and if you stick your head to the wall and kind of look at it from the side you can see that its sticking out about 2 inches you run your hand over it and its like a little mountain. The circumference is about 2 feet wide so it's not that small and I don't believe there are any water pipes in the wall and on the other side is another bedroom, the other bedroom wall seems fine.

Any Ideas of what this could be or what could be causing this bulge?

Any help would be greatly apreciated, thanks


ant7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:40 AM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,849
Rewards Points: 2,012

What is the wall constructed of? Framed? Block? What is the wall covered with? Drywall? Plaster? Could be a roof leak making it's way down the wall and bulging the plaster.


Last edited by Maintenance 6; 09-16-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:51 AM   #3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern California
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 10

I'm not much of an expert on houses but I think the wall is just normal drywall with frame construction, how can you tell what type of wall it is? I don't know how it could be caused by a leak because it hasn't rained where I live for about 4 months and I about 99% sure this bulge wasn't in the wall until about yesterday.

Last edited by ant7000; 09-16-2008 at 11:54 AM.
ant7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:32 PM   #4
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada (s/w ON.)
Posts: 2,294
Rewards Points: 1,000

You will have to repair this, what ever the cause. So, get a hammer and break it open and have a look!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:44 PM   #5
the Musigician
DangerMouse's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: I'm right here!
Posts: 10,404
Rewards Points: 2,000

just watch out for the alien that flys out at you! seriously, keep us posted...moisture? termites? dead animal swelling up? hmmm..

DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote

bulge , drywall , round , wall

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
baseboard around a bulge in wall henpest Carpentry 6 08-26-2008 05:57 AM
Raising Doorway Height (load bearing?) treefrog Building & Construction 6 02-25-2008 09:11 PM
Marrying a sloping stone wall to a cinder block wall. mrdol Landscaping & Lawn Care 1 11-09-2007 04:08 PM
Atlantic-need your opinion on markd's comments about my vapor barrier? yummy mummy Building & Construction 11 03-07-2007 09:47 AM
Load Bearing Wall? Traybae Remodeling 3 11-05-2006 01:39 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1