Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2014, 06:49 PM   #1

Share |

Help With BEAT UP Garage Drywall and Gaps In Concrete Around Garage..

Not sure where or better yet, HOW to begin.. DESPERATELY looking for some advise and help on how to fix the beat to #@$%!! corner of my garage and the neighboring drywall..

Do I just paint it over and forget about it or what? see pic's..

Also how to fill in these gaps around the garage.. pretty sure a chipmunk has taken up residence in one of those holes... which is why I quickly plugged it with anything I saw on the ground, see last pic below!

Also pic #4 shows an inside gap in that corner as well, and no that is not a piece of fecal matter, its a very very dirty rock.. What would I fill these with or how should I plug these holes?
Attached Thumbnails
Help With BEAT UP Garage Drywall and Gaps In Concrete Around Garage..-img_20140513_142558857.jpg   Help With BEAT UP Garage Drywall and Gaps In Concrete Around Garage..-garage-corner-1.jpg   Help With BEAT UP Garage Drywall and Gaps In Concrete Around Garage..-garage-corner-2.jpg   Help With BEAT UP Garage Drywall and Gaps In Concrete Around Garage..-garage-hole.jpg   Help With BEAT UP Garage Drywall and Gaps In Concrete Around Garage..-gaps-1.jpg  

Help With BEAT UP Garage Drywall and Gaps In Concrete Around Garage..-gaps-3.jpg  

Sean Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:39 PM   #2

Those areas of drywall look like they are in areas very susceptible to damage from various sources you should probably look for some other material to put on the service of the walls there. A thin sheet of stainless steel would certainly hold up well and look very nice if you have a local sheet-metal shop that could cut and bend it for you to fit around the corner. It would need to be very thick (16 gauge or so would be fine). As far as the concrete goes you could just buy a bag of sand mix concrete at the big-box store and patch it.

Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:38 AM   #3

That sure looks like moisture damage to me.
How close is the outside wall to grade?
Old 05-20-2014, 11:07 AM   #4

Looks like moisture damage to me also.You need to locate the source of the moisture problem,fix it ,then replace the drywall.Is the door jamb weatherproofed?Looks like the sill could use some work.
mako1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
Those areas of drywall look like they are in areas very susceptible to damage from various sources you should probably look for some other material to put on the service of the walls there. A thin sheet of stainless steel would certainly hold up well and look very nice if you have a local sheet-metal shop that could cut and bend it for you to fit around the corner. It would need to be very thick (16 gauge or so would be fine). As far as the concrete goes you could just buy a bag of sand mix concrete at the big-box store and patch it.
That was all the previous owners, can almost guarantee that would never happen under my watch.. Well for sure no where to that extent!

Thanks for the input and ideas.. now I have an avenue to go on..

mako and joecaption.. no offense but SPEAK ENGLISH!! haha, I kid, I kid.. but you did lose me.. close to grade? door jamb? <-- no idea what you mean there.. and even google, she fails me and I got nothing..

oNe
Old 05-20-2014, 05:40 PM   #6

I'm not picking on you, but are you serious with not knowing what a door jamb or grade is? If so, hire a professional to fix this. I'm not at all picking on you, but the steps involved to fix this will go far beyond the verbiage used here.
Jb1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jb1234 View Post
I'm not picking on you, but are you serious with not knowing what a door jamb or grade is? If so, hire a professional to fix this. I'm not at all picking on you, but the steps involved to fix this will go far beyond the verbiage used here.
negative.. not joking at all.

1st time home owner here.. barely picked up my 1st power tools, a drill/driver set, BUT not before asking what it actually was and getting advise on here 1st!!

Not sure if this helps.. but not knowing diddly squat about being a handyman, I was able to completely redo my half bathroom, install a new toilet, new sink and cabinet, and updated lighting fixtures..

I'm just trying to LEARN man!!

Don't get me wrong, I am not afraid to call a "professional", for example when the the plug for the stove needed to be moved 2"'s down,.. but for some reason, this project that I'm asking help for seems like something I should be able to do?

thanks!

oNe
Old 05-20-2014, 07:48 PM   #8

Sure, I hear ya, we were all first timers and we all learn as we go. The good thing with the damage you got is nothing should be structural, as in nothing will fall apart on you. Basically with the drywall, it's cheap and if you try to fix it and screw it up, it's still cheap and easy to rip out and have a pro do it. Simply put, the questions the others guys asked are:
-Grade: what level is the dirt on the outside in relation to the inside. Two things can be present here. The grade (angle) might have water running back towards the wall flooding it causing the water intrusion. Also if the dirt is build up high against the foundation, water might be seeping in to the wall.
-Door jamb: just google it, be simpler than me explaining. Basically the door frame.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Sure, I hear ya, we were all first timers and we all learn as we go. The good thing with the damage you got is nothing should be structural, as in nothing will fall apart on you. Basically with the drywall, it's cheap and if you try to fix it and screw it up, it's still cheap and easy to rip out and have a pro do it. Simply put, the questions the others guys asked are:
-Grade: what level is the dirt on the outside in relation to the inside. Two things can be present here. The grade (angle) might have water running back towards the wall flooding it causing the water intrusion. Also if the dirt is build up high against the foundation, water might be seeping in to the wall.
-Door jamb: just google it, be simpler than me explaining. Basically the door frame.
I did google it which ONLY lead to more confusion.. BUT now that you gave ur little explanation I think I may need to explain why I am so lost..

There is NO DOOR, much less a door jab, and there is grade present.. THIS wall is what seperates the ATTACHED garage from the house.. in other words, this wall is in the middle of the structure connecting the house to the 2 car attached garage..

Like so, where | = the wall.. so like this --> house | garage

Not sure if that helps but hopefully it helps clear this up a bit.. but yeah there is no door jam or grade to be found near this wall, just a concrete driveway... and in the 4 years I have lived here, I have not seen any evidence of water there..

thanks!

oNe
Old 05-21-2014, 10:08 AM   #10

Is there a roof over this wall? You state garage/wall /house. What is over the wall? Or is the wall attached to the house or garage? Also where do you live?

Last edited by landfillwizard; 05-21-2014 at 10:12 AM.
landfillwizard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:50 PM   #11

Sean:Were you by chance in the military?Maybe a drill sergeant?We are trying to help and hope you are starting to understand why all of this information is pertinent to helping you solve your problem.
After five or so posts of trying to squeeze the relivent information from you some loose interest.It's not just you.A general problem with this type of forum.
You never stated in the first post that there was no door or that it was a interior wall between house and garage.There may not be a wall but there will be a jamb.
You catch more bees with honey than vinegar.
Good luck with your project and I thank you for your service
mako1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
Sean:Were you by chance in the military?Maybe a drill sergeant?We are trying to help and hope you are starting to understand why all of this information is pertinent to helping you solve your problem.
After five or so posts of trying to squeeze the relivent information from you some loose interest.It's not just you.A general problem with this type of forum.
You never stated in the first post that there was no door or that it was a interior wall between house and garage.There may not be a wall but there will be a jamb.
You catch more bees with honey than vinegar.
Good sirs? WHERE is this coming FROM???

If I came across as hostile or combative, I APOLOGIZE, that was not my intent.. I look at you guys as the professionals and in NO WAY meant any offense!

I guess this is just a HUGE misunderstanding.. since neither the pictures nor my post mentioned a door, I had no idea why you guys were throwing out terms like door jam, and whatnot.. Thats why I was getting confused.... I only meant to clarify that, and if i came across as in your face, again NOT my intent.. but nonetheless..

MY BAD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
Sean:Were you by chance in the military?Maybe a drill sergeant?
LEAVE MY PESONAL LIFE OUT OF THIS!!! wink!
Old 05-21-2014, 08:05 PM   #13

NOW that thats all cleared up... back to business!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landfillwizard View Post
Is there a roof over this wall? You state garage/wall /house. What is over the wall? Or is the wall attached to the house or garage? Also where do you live?
The wall is attached to the house, or is garage? I guess I don't know .. but here is a picture. I drew a red line where more or less the wall in question is..HOPEFULLY this helps..

Its the wall that seperates the house from the garage(inside the house it would be the wall to the stairs going UP and as well as the stairs into the basement).

Again in my 4 years here, never saw any water or evidence of water damage into the garage, or anywhere near that wall.

Perhaps the previous owners did have water leak somewhere, not sure, but hopefully they fixed it(since I have not seen any leaks myself).

I live in cold, cold WISCONSIN, near Milwaukee, WI 53202
Attached Thumbnails
Help With BEAT UP Garage Drywall and Gaps In Concrete Around Garage..-1129064ax.jpg  
Old 05-21-2014, 08:17 PM   #14

Is that the gutter down spout that actually runs into the gutter? If so that's good, just kind of hard to see for sure in the pic. Do you see any sign, even the slightest of any damage on the drywall inside of the house that is on the other side of this? Since you are the one able to see it and touch it, do you believe anything is water damage, or is that just us speculating? Any drywall soft or crumbling, or is this simply just drywall beat up being in a garage?
Old 05-22-2014, 10:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Is that the gutter down spout that actually runs into the gutter? If so that's good, just kind of hard to see for sure in the pic. Do you see any sign, even the slightest of any damage on the drywall inside of the house that is on the other side of this? Since you are the one able to see it and touch it, do you believe anything is water damage, or is that just us speculating? Any drywall soft or crumbling, or is this simply just drywall beat up being in a garage?
well... at the risk of somebody catching feelings i didn't say anything.. but yeah no water damage that I see.. also on the other side of that wall(inside the actual house) there is no damage, discoloration, or any kind of indication of water damage..

However house is 45 years old so I can't say there never was water damage there but in the 4 years I have been here NEVER did I see any indication of water/moisture anywhere near there..

And yes, that downspout goes to the gutter which drains down to ground level at the left of the house.. Also have not seen any issue there..

So you think I should replace that drywall right? i.e. don't just paint it?

and just buy cement and patch up any of the cracks/gaps..

Let me know if you all recommend anything else!

Thanks!

oNe