Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2009, 09:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Help!!

I am trying to figure out how to adjust the glass shower door that I have in my master bedroom. It is dragging a little bit on the bottom of the latch side. I can lift the door up and it closes fine but my wife has problems doing this. Can anybody help us?

mbunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:47 AM   #2

Help!!

Not without a lot more detail/description. Can you post a picture of the door hardware?

Swinging? Sliding? Hinges? etc...............

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:56 AM   #3

Help!!

Yes it is a swinging door. It is a framed door. It does have hinges. It has just started to sag after awhile. The house is only six years old though. Hopefully it is not time to replace the door.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #4

Help!!

Depends on the hinge type. Most hinges use rubber gaskets between the hinge and the glass, and will settle in and allow the door to loosen and sag somewhat as the rubber loses its smooshyness (technical term). Put wood shims under the door and on the edge of the door opposite the hinges to keep it from falling or moving more. Then totally loosen the screws on the hinges (usually allen screws). Use shims to raise the door back to where it should be, make sure the gaskets are in position, then CRANK DOWN on the screws...Tighter than you think they need to be. The glass will not break.

These hinges normally settle in after a few months, but needing to tighten them is normal during that time. Might have never been done when you initially had it installed ?

Pics of the hinges would help.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:06 PM   #5

Help!!

I was wrong about there being hinges. It appears to be on a pin because there are no screws on that side at all. All there is are screws in each corner of the frame. There are also screws at the bottom of the door that are used to hold a rubber seal in place so that the bottom of the door does not leak.