Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2010, 08:57 PM   #1

Share |

Hello! And pictures of my first project at my first home.

Hi all, my wife and I just graduated from college, were married 6 months ago, and bought our first house a month ago. It was built in 1934 and was recently completely renovated and it looks practically new. It's small, but we love it.

Anyway, one of my first projects was to clean and protect the privacy fence along one side of the property. The next project is to continue the privacy fence along the rest of the backyard and join it up to the neighbor's privacy fence on the other side of our property. I'll definitely have to spend a lot of time on this website to learn how to put that sucker up myself.

Here are my pictures of my very amateur first attempt at home improvement on a budget:

Here's a true "before" picture of the fence before we bought the house:

Far left: I pressure washed this portion before I realized it was bad for the wood. To the right of that is the "before" grayed wood. The light colored wood is after the Olympic premium wood cleaner and then you can see the "after" with the Thompson's Waterseal honey gold colored sealant.

Here's a close up of the portion I've completely finished. I realize that the Thompson's brand may not be the best out there, but we're on a bit of a budget at the moment so it'll last for a year until I can use something better.

ChrisGUGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:42 PM   #2

Welcome. Nice job and not a bad looking privacy fence. Like the details. Looks well made.

Mike in Arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:07 PM   #3

Wow, that wood cleaner is definately a good investment in time and money. I need to put a finish on my fence. I used a honey gold stain on my previous fence. Don't remember the brand but know it wasn't water seal.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
Wow, that wood cleaner is definately a good investment in time and money. I need to put a finish on my fence. I used a honey gold stain on my previous fence. Don't remember the brand but know it wasn't water seal.
Thanks Mike.

Jim, that Olympic cleaner is definitely good stuff. It only takes 10-15 seconds to do the job and then after 10 minutes you just spray it off, let it dry, and then seal it. I used a little $20 deck sprayer with a manual pump to apply the cleaner and sealant and it worked out really well.
ChrisGUGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
Household Handyman

Welcome ChrisG, from Bulldog land. Close the car door next time, I'm in Albany also.. I have an idea where that home is.
I can't say that pressure washing is bad for an old fence, it just depends on how much pressure you are using and how close you get to the fence. You probably raised the wood fibers which stuck out lick "fuzz" when the fence dried. These can easily be removed with a stiff brush and elbow grease when fully dried.
You've done a really good job so far, and the efforts put into that fence show it. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote