Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Heat pump Question

I just bought a house for my daughter and it has a heat pump for the heating system the house is around 2400 Sq ft and her heat bill for this month is over 500.00 which I thought was ridiculous. Is there a possibility that there is something wrong with the heat pump and if so what could it possibly be. Thanks for your help.
fieldman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #2

Heat pump Question

You might have better luck if you post in the HVAC section. Also the more info you post about your problem, the better the responses you'll get.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:50 AM   #3

Heat pump Question

I bought a house with a heat pump. We were shocked when we got a bill for two months...$1300! I was using it when it was too cold outside and I think it was running off the heat strips. I now turn on our electric furnace in nov and It's been a little cheaper, but not much. Air conditioning wouldn't work in the heat wave this summer. The repairman said I need a new compressor. Who knows, maybe the heat pump never worked at all and I was heating off the strips or emergency heat the whole time.

Looked into getting a new gas furnace. I probably will when I reno the house. I like not having a gas bill though! Eight months of the year that I don't have to pay all those delivery fees - not to mention the cost of the furnace itself. I've compared my overall energy costs with friends and I figure I pay about 500 more a year than they do. Not quite enough for me to go out and finance a furnace for 230/month.

Anyways, back on topic... Although the repair guy told me I need a new compressor, I'm still not convinced it's totally shot. It heated my house fine until mid- November. Again though, maybe it was heating off the strips. Nothing on my thermostat indicated EM heat but maybe strips don't count. I look forward to following your post to see if you get any useful tips!

Cheers.
Magmo is offline   Reply With Quote