Heat Pump/air Handler Replacement - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2010, 04:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Heat pump/air handler replacement

Hi,

I've got zoned heating in a 1950's modified cape code with two Trane heat pump/air handler units that are from 1992 - one is 10 seer, the other 11. Total SF is 1650. I'm looking to replace the 11 that heats/cools the front of the house. I might add on to the back - that's why I'm thinking of waiting to replace that one.

Do I need to replace the air handler? What about the duct work - it's the round 6 inch flexible stuff? The air handler is in an outside utility shed and the ducts run through a tight crawl space, maybe 2 feet.

I was looking at the Trane XL20i or the XL16i. Would the cost difference be made up quickly with the higher efficiency?

I also see that Trane has a smaller air handler for tight spaces (2/4TFB Compact) - any reason not to get this?

Any general comments on Trane versus other manufacturers?

Thanks, Peter

Advertisement

baylegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:10 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,448

In order to bring it up to the newer standards, yes you should replace the air handlers. You are talking about 18 year old units. I would go with at least a 13 SEER if limited on budget to go with 16 SEER units, which would get you up to a 30% rebate from the government for cost to purchase & install. Plus the newer units would be more efficient than the older ones you have now.

Advertisement

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:59 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for responding. That's definitely my plan - to get a unit that qualifies for the tax rebate. Would you go with Trane, Carrier, any preference? Would you also replace the flexible ducts?
baylegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:14 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,448

I went with Armstrong, who is owned by Lennox. Of course, I put in a 13 seer because I could not justify spending more on a higher efficient unit for A/C. Our furnace is a Lennox Signature series 95% 2 stage unit, that we won from one of the local companies during a home show. All together I think we spent about $3300.

As for replacing the ducts, unless they are in bad shape, I would leave alone. Talk at least three local companies, and talk to your neighbors. Also, if you see a local company working at a retail establishment, you may want to ask them about their company and how busy they tend to be. Some companies tend to take on more work, than they have man hours available.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote