Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2008, 08:13 AM   #1

Share |

heat loss and damp

My daughter has purchased a detached house built in 1930s. They are finding that the heat loss once the boiler goes off is very rapid, and now they are finding some damp patches appearing on inside walls both upstairs and downstairs in the kitchen. They have new double glazing and new loft insulation. There is no wall cavity. They have wooden floors downstairs. Can anyone suggest ways to solve this problem. Thanking you very much.

Last edited by Mrs Grey; 01-15-2008 at 08:15 AM.
Mrs Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:37 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

heat loss and damp

I'd say that someone will have to get up into the attic, check the roof too (ice dams?, leaks?)

A moisture meter would also be a good tool to use, to follow the path of the moisture by using the meter on the walls. You may have to open up the walls and/or ceilings to go further (if you can't seem to find anything)

There is alot that could be causing these signs.

My suggestion is to hire a professional to come in and look at it. These things can be "tricky" to locate....

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:17 AM   #3

heat loss and damp

Thank you. I will pass that information on.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:46 PM   #4

heat loss and damp

There is no wall cavity? As in, the interior walls are on the backside of the exterior sheathing? If there is no insulation, or even a void, between the exterior and the interior, then the wet patches on the wall could well be condensation where the warm moist inside air touches the cold exterior wall.

What climate is this house in?
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:11 PM   #5

heat loss and damp

The description of the 1930s house reminded me of my dad's previous home - when I was a little kid. It had more problems holding heat then a chain link fence. Yes. That bad as well.

For him, he started in the basement, worked on the 2nd floor and the main floor was completed last. By the time he got to the main floor, his skills and quality of work was much better (from practicing on the other levels first). His approach was:
- Leveled the basement floor.
- Under pinned the basement cement walls.
- Built new 2x4 (at the time) studding and insulated with thick plastic vapor barrier. To save costs, he didn't install drywall in the basement. Today, he would use 2x6 studs and where needed, space them either 12" or 16" apart.
- He leveled the main floor by raising / lowering the basement center posts.
- Re-installed new shingles on the 2nd story roof. Were needed, replace a few roof boards.
- Where needed, installed new doors and windows.
- Installed new external siding.
- With external water sealed and much better wind protected, he then focused on the inside tasks.
- On the main floor, he gutted the inner walls.
- On the 2nd floor, he gutted inner walls.
- Pulled in new plumbing, electical and heat vent "up the inner walls".
- On the main floor, he gutted the outer walls.
- On the 2nd floor, he gutted the outer walls.
- Pulled in any external wall or inner outer wall electrical.
- Insulated & added thick vapour barrier.
- Installed new drywall on the upper 2nd floor.
- Installed new drywall on the main floor.

Depending on the season, he picked the best time to rebuilt internal or external walls. Overall, he completed his previous house re-built in 3-4 years. An indepth rebuilt like this requires years of planning and "steadiness". As he often tells me, "rebuilding an old house isn't a task - its a lifestyle change".

Hope this helps - somehow....

Last edited by Spike99; 01-15-2008 at 01:15 PM.
Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:29 PM   #6

heat loss and damp

Nate - the house is in the UK - London area.

Spike - I don't they'll be up for doing that much work to it, but thanks for replying.