Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #1

Share |

Hazard with blown-in insulation?

Hello all, I have a question about accessing my attic that has blown-in fiberglass insulation. I have a drop-down ladder from my garage and a few items stored above the garage, which does not have the insulation on the floor / ceiling of the garage. I go up there a couple of times a year to get the Christmas tree, etc. and am only up there a few minutes. 99% of the insulation is undisturbed, but I may have dropped an item on the puffy insulation a few times. There's probably thousands of people that have the same setup as this, but with "fiber phobia" rampant, I thought I'd ask the question if there was much of a health concern from doing this (the house was built in 1988). I do plan on wearing a mask in the future...

Last edited by sbrack; 04-04-2011 at 07:53 PM.
sbrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
I thought I'd ask the question if there was much of a health concern from doing this
Ayuh,... Be careful ya don't fall down the ladder....

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
HomeSealed (04-05-2011)
Old 04-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #3

Likey not fiberglass insulation - probably celulose. A Google will help you identify what you have and allay any concerns.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:06 PM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrack View Post
Hello all, I have a question about accessing my attic that has blown-in fiberglass insulation. I have a drop-down ladder from my garage and a few items stored above the garage, which does not have the insulation on the floor / ceiling of the garage. I go up there a couple of times a year to get the Christmas tree, etc. and am only up there a few minutes. 99% of the insulation is undisturbed, but I may have dropped an item on the puffy insulation a few times. There's probably thousands of people that have the same setup as this, but with "fiber phobia" rampant, I thought I'd ask the question if there was much of a health concern from doing this (the house was built in 1988). I do plan on wearing a mask in the future...
Like Bondo said, don't fall down the ladder!

That said, don't worry. Unless - for some odd reason - you have an allergy to the cellulose insulation, there's very little risk.

On the other hand, if it'd make you feel better, wear a mask when you go up into the attic.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:33 AM   #5

If it is blown fiberglass, I'd sure wear a mask and eye protection for when you open that ladder; shards of glass will be looking for your eye.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
Home Performance

If it is white or pink and "fluffy", then it is actually fiberglass. Either way, there is really no health risk from the amount of exposure that you are getting. Wearing a mask wouldn't be the worst idea though. Sometimes it can irritate your throat and you'll be coughing for a bit if you rustle it up enough.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #7

So, coughing with glass shards in your lungs is not a health risk? Interesting. Sure, you aren't going to die right off, but I can not see how any fiberglass in your lungs does you any good. Bear in mind, I coughed up a carcinoid cancer tumor in 2000, so I am a bit more sensitive to these matters. Mask for sure.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #8
Home Performance

jklinker, please support your strongly worded comments with ANY shred of evidence. I am not saying that fiberglass insulation would never pose any hazard whatsoever. What I am saying is that a brief exposure a couple times per year as described will have 0 effect on health. This would be the equivalent of smoking a cigar or having a cocktail on a special occasion (albeit less pleasurable )... Again, if you can argue against this in any way, shape, or form, please do so.... That being said, as I've already stated, " Wearing a mask wouldn't be the worst idea".

Last edited by HomeSealed; 04-06-2011 at 08:29 AM.
HomeSealed is offline   Reply With Quote