Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2013, 05:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 518

Have a fire defense

I was looking at the photos of the massive CO fire breaks my heart to see the homes lost and the lives lost. What caught my eye was that the vast majority of homes that burnt had trees right with in 15 to 20 feet of them. zero defensive areas had trees been removed and stuff removing of brush. a lot of those homes could be still standing. Sad to see the loss. maybe we can learn from this to prevent this from happening again.

Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,204

Have a fire defense

Would not even matter if the trees are fifty feet away. Look up Firestorms, or Fire tornadoes. You would be surprised what kind of beast fires become, even with fire breaks.

Now of course, there are methods to protect the structure with various materials, but when you are bugging out, the last thing you want to do during a firestorm is stick around pouring stored rainwater or well water on the structure, when you have Home Owner's insurance to replace it.

Everyone had fair warning to get what they needed to save out of the structures (computers, jewelry, electronics, paper documents, pictures, clothes for a week), and leave.

If I was in the situation, I would grab our fire safe downstairs, the couple of laptops, our network drives, pack a couple of bags of clothes, and bug out.

Furniture, appliances, structures can be replaced, lives cannot. What also gets me, is when people return and get emotional about the structure and stuff like furniture after a disaster, when you can replace those.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (06-18-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,358

Have a fire defense

Long ago Bob Hope lost his home to a California brush fire---

His house had a wood shake roof.

Some people just don't think about fires when selecting building materials--
Old 06-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 518

Have a fire defense

I am not saying every home would be safe but at least have a fighting chance. I have in my college days and during my stelar navel reserve career. worked as a wild land fire fighter. I have seen fire storms they are not pretty and I have seen fir vortices. Just saying cut down the trees around your home mount a sprinkler system on your roof have to bug out turn on the sprinkler and you may have a fighting chance. just plan a head
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nailbags For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-16-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 11:14 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,204

Have a fire defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Long ago Bob Hope lost his home to a California brush fire---

His house had a wood shake roof.

Some people just don't think about fires when selecting building materials--
All homes of that genre had wood shake roofs. Also wild fires were not as common at the time, that his home was built, let alone when he moved into it.

99% of the fires started, are caused by arson & carelessness. We had friends of my in-laws, that while taking hot ashes from their fireplace outside to be placed into a ash can, the top of the can blew off, and ended up setting their home on fire, due to the high winds at the time. They were lucky the national forest did not catch on fire. This was also during Winter time, when you would least expect a fire to happen.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:54 AM   #6
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,286

Have a fire defense

Brush clearance is a big issue here in California....you will be fined if you have not done the proper brush clearance before fire season.....it's already been a bad one here and we still have a long ways to go...

With that said....in a lot of cases, doing brush clearance will significantly increase the chances your house will survive.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-16-2013)
Old 06-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,124

Have a fire defense

Quote:
doing brush clearance will significantly increase the chances your house will survive.
Maybe it's just terminology, but I think of the brush clearance and grass/weed abatement as being separate (but related to) the defensible space.
Here is one of Cal Fires defensible space brochures.
http://calfire.ca.gov/communications...ceBrochure.pdf
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oso954 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-16-2013)
Old 06-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #8
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 538

Have a fire defense

Even when people have insurance these stories are heart breaking. I wish everyone the best. Let us not forget forest fires are also the beginning of life as well.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

Have a fire defense

I've heard of people having the opposite problem: they want to clear around the home, but the state WON'T ALLOW THEM.

There is a gel that can be sprayed on the walls of an entire house in a matter of minutes as the fire approaches.
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:11 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

Have a fire defense

Fire safety refers to precautions that are taken to prevent or reduce the likelihood of a fire that may result in death, injury, or property damage, alert those in a structure to the presence of an uncontrolled fire in the event one occurs, better enable those threatened by a fire to survive in and evacuate from affected areas, or to reduce the damage caused by a fire. Fire safety measures include those that are planned during the construction of a building or implemented in structures that are already standing, and those that are taught to occupants of the building.

woodlandpatio is offline   Reply With Quote