Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
Coconut Pete's paella!

Share |

Has anyone stained concrete to look more like ashpalt?

My driveway is single-lane until it gets to my garage, then it widens.
The driveway runs alongside the garage .............. 1/2 way
I need to / want to extend it so we can easily pop a car next to it

The area is only 11x12 and a few people have told me the paving company might not want to do an area that small.

Last year there were a few people getting new driveways around me and I definitely intend on calling the company if there are any this year and see if I can "piggy back" on that project, thereby avoiding the minimum rule.

If I can't, however, I was thinking about having it done in concrete and staining it dark. From what you can find to read it seems dyes are better used indoors since they are sensitive to UV rays ... this leaves a stain.

Any feedback on concrete stain? This does not have to be perfect it just has to be darker - like asphalt. I feel like asphalt 90% of the way and then super light grey just won't look right.

CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Ayuh,.... After the concrete cures for a month or so,...
Seal the whole driveway with sealcoat....

It'll look Fine, for a few years...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #3

have you googled concrete staining? i've seen some pretty dark stains; don't recall black, though. surely a local concrete co can give you the name of a stainer or two, if you don't want to diy.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:13 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Staining concrete is a bit of an art. I happen to think it special and beautiful. Call in an artisan before your pour and stain. They will tell you, you must wait out the cure times of the materials. Staining concrete to look like what you want is not a possible as DIY project.

Last edited by user1007; 01-12-2012 at 11:16 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #5

i've never stained it, but i saw a floor that a guy did diy; his first one. it was a mixture of fall tree leaf colors (the deciduous trees that actually turn colors....). it looked good, but he used "the wrong sealer" so it blistered. make sure you do your homework.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
Coconut Pete's paella!

Yes, I did all the reading I could on staining. Pretty much backs up what you fellas are saying about it being an art form, being careful w/ curing times etc. Makes me think it might not be the best idea..... I figured since I wanted it all dark and all one color it may be easier - but it sounds like that is not the case.

I really really hope I see someone's driveway in my neighborhood torn down to gravel in the spring so I can try to piggy back on that truckload of asphalt.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutPete View Post
Yes, I did all the reading I could on staining. Pretty much backs up what you fellas are saying about it being an art form, being careful w/ curing times etc. Makes me think it might not be the best idea..... I figured since I wanted it all dark and all one color it may be easier - but it sounds like that is not the case.

I really really hope I see someone's driveway in my neighborhood torn down to gravel in the spring so I can try to piggy back on that truckload of asphalt.
Ayuh,.... That's yer Best bet,.....

Yer only talkin' a ton, maybe a ton, 'n a 1/2....
If the area is boxed out, prepped, 'n ready for blacktop,...
Yer talkin' 2 men, 'n 'bout 1/2 hour...

'round here, We'd probably do it up for a couple/ few hundred, IF We yer close by...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #8
Home Performance

That seems a little crazy... Concrete is way more expensive than asphalt. Staining concrete to look like asphalt is pretty backwards. Just find a smaller paving company to do it for you ( who don't have the same minimums). If all else fails, put an ad on Craigslist for it. Everybody is looking for work these days, someone will bite.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:52 AM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

It is sometimes hard to get contractors out for tiny jobs. But if you do not need a hydroseeding, foam insulation, concrete pour or asphalt job done between next M-W? You would be surprised at who might be willing to help you out after doing a much larger job and with extra material on hand. Not sure I would trust either Craig's or Angie's list but why not post there I guess.

Chase trucks of real contractors doing work in your area. Just tell the folks what you need and explain you can live with it not happening immediately. The contractors will factor you in. And from degree of experience? Your little tiny, itsy bitsy job will happen so fast. I don't know why it made a difference to me, but someone knocking on my truck window demanding a quote and immediate lay down of 40 square feet of concrete or asphalt. Just never captured my heart. The note left under the wiper, asking if I had concrete or asphalt leftover and could I help a neighbor sometime between 1999 and 2010?

Pay the crew fairly of course and make sure permits are filed and prep inspected if an issue.

Last edited by user1007; 01-14-2012 at 05:02 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:17 AM   #10
Getting There

Hello

Asphalt Co usually work an area, I know when I did mine last year I was booked for a week that he was doing two others, and a patch. Call around to some local guys, if your not in a hurry I betcha it will be cheap.
Good luck
MecGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:33 AM   #11
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,.... After the concrete cures for a month or so,...
Seal the whole driveway with sealcoat....

It'll look Fine, for a few years...
Bondo,

I think you do asphalt for a living, so you'll likely know the answer. I've been told in the past that the sealcoat won't stick to a concrete patch, or at least for very long. What's you experience?

jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote