Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2013, 08:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Has anyone renovated their house WHILE living in it?

What was your experience like? Now that you know the pros vs the cons, would you recommend it? Thinking it would be a lot more difficult to do this with a family with kids than a single person.

forgivethemess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,324

i am doing it right now. a major reno. house needs nearly everything. just wife and i. little kids would make it tougher.

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,038

There is NOTHING to recommend it.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,300

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgivethemess View Post
What was your experience like? Now that you know the pros vs the cons, would you recommend it? Thinking it would be a lot more difficult to do this with a family with kids than a single person.
I guess I would ask- is this to be done in stages or all at once.
I went through my house one room at a time- well, some rooms over lapped, such as painting, flooring or wall demo. Did my kitchen reno in about a weeks time- it just takes some scheduling and commitment.
I had 2 young daughters at the time. They survived.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
Well there is one thing that is good about it. If you live in the home first then you get a very good feel for exactly what you'd like.

I had renos done before I moved in just to avoid having kids go through it. Now I'm sorry because I wish I'd done the kitchen differently
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 558

You'll need to have a good woman beside you during this time. On the other hand, if you are looking to get rid of a not so good woman...
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cleveman For This Useful Post:
funfool (06-11-2013), MTN REMODEL LLC (06-11-2013), oh'mike (06-12-2013)
Old 06-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,324

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
sure there is. as long as the skills and $$$$$ are there.
can save a ton of money.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:55 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
Well there is one thing that is good about it. If you live in the home first then you get a very good feel for exactly what you'd like.

I had renos done before I moved in just to avoid having kids go through it. Now I'm sorry because I wish I'd done the kitchen differently
That is for certain! Many of my original thoughts about what to change have been dismissed over the years.

For me the biggest down side is every project requires too much effort in "repositioning stuff". Then trying to keep the flying dirt of the work area out of the rest of the house.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:56 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

Yeah it's not fun. And your family are either hardy people who can handle it and dream about the final product like you do, or they aren't. If they aren't with you, it will cause all sorts of practical and personal problems.

Take them primitive camping a few times and see how they do.

Last edited by Amateuralex; 06-12-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Amateuralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #10
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,038

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
That wasn't the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
sure there is. as long as the skills and $$$$$ are there. can save a ton of money.
If you have the skills you should have enough experience to know what keeps jobs from getting done quickly and to plan/spec... those delays and changes are where the budget blowing expenses show up. Avoid it.

Some people are FORCED to do it... it's still not recommended. Find some other place to live. Somewhere away from the dust and dirt to shower and eat and sleep and relax a few hours each day.

If you're the one doing the work... this is even more important.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,326

Have done it lived thru it and still have the same wife. Pretty used the one room at a time deal. Sometimes BIG pita but that's part of it. And totally agree with being in the house awhile first.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 654

Yes, yrs ago. No choice but to live in it. Almost ended up divorced over it. Afterwards couldn't even remember what the disagreements were about. We had a little girl at the time who got a minor cut on something which I saw then I fainted.
Startingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:08 AM   #13
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,300

I have been doing that for the past ten years. Still have a unfinished Kitchen remodel, due to stuff happening every year that we try to get going on it again.

For the past four years, either my wife has had to have major surgery, or I have had major surgery. I am hoping that next year I can finish it.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #14
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,042

Nothing guarantees a job will get done on time, neither by your own work or with a contractor. But when you're doing it yourself there is a certain amount of nonsense you end up making yourself "get used to". Like not having a working kitchen, or a bathroom that's gone un-done for way too long. I've done a few things myself and testify to the latter. It's astounding what nonsense you'll put up with in the face of everything else that life demands from you. Especially if you're going to end up juggling what gets done based on expenses. As in, not enough money to do X "right now" so it gets postponed... a while.

So you have to ask yourself honestly if you're prepared to put up with an incomplete project for quite a while. And if your spouse is likewise inclined. Because if you don't KNOW this already then your relationship might not survive discovering it in the middle of a renovation...
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #15
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,394

Doing it right now......

3 Bedroom, 1 bath house (1027 sq ft)...2 adults, 3 kids (ages 7-10 now)....started on a 2-story addition to the back of the house almost 2 years ago...adding about 1000 sq ft. The existing master bedroom had to be vacated since it was part of the construction....so all 3 kids are in one bedroom...we are in the other...half the clothes are in bags and boxes.

Dirt is the one thing must underestimated....any project generates dirt...you find dirt everywhere.

Then there is the weather....it will rain when you don't want it too...water will get into places you didn't think possible...and turn the dirt to mud....it will be cold at times...hot at other times....

It's the best...it's the worst...

As mentioned above...it will either help the marriage or you will get divorced in no time.

If you want pics....click on the link in my signature.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote