Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
Cruising into the sunset

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Has Anyone Here Worked With Crackle Glass Tile?

I was asked to install some under cabinet lights and some wall switches. The wire is in conduit, so I can pull through switch legs, the boxes are 1900 boxes so all I'd have to do is change out the rings to two-gang and then install the lights.

But the homeowners had just had installed glass backsplash tile. When I told them I'd have to cut the tile to allow for the addition of a switch, they both froze. Then they explained the glass was cracked, by design, by running it through a hot furnace (this from the factory). They said the installers experienced a nightmare cutting it, even with a wet saw. The tile would shatter and shards flew everywhere.

I thought maybe the installers were inexperienced. Why would anyone make tile that is so dangerous to cut?

So I'm wondering if anyone here has worked with this and if so, is it really that bad or could it be the installers that were the problem?

JulieMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 8

I have never heard of such tile. What size are they? I have worked with glass tile but never these. If I was you I might try to get ahold of the installers.

ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:38 AM   #3
registered

I know what your talking about. I say walk away. I'm not confident it wouldn't tear out or something during cutting. (stability issue)

Last edited by 747; 09-05-2013 at 03:13 AM.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
Cruising into the sunset

After I again asked if they would be okay with me cutting the tile (I told them I couldn't be responsible for what happens), they said they are going to put the project on hold.

I did some reading up in between and saw things like using superglue to fill the cracks before cutting and using a thin diamond blade, not the standard tile cutting blade.

I just wonder how many HOs buy this tile without a clue of how hard it is to work with?
JulieMor is offline   Reply With Quote